Silkie Cross Thread!! PICS!!

Pics
My blue silkie+chocolate bantam Orp eggs have veining! I wonder though. She is BBS not Self Blue. I am not sure if that makes a difference as far as the caramel dun color the chicks should be? Anybody know?
With blue from BBS plus Chocolate, I think you get mauve, at least with an all orp cross. Not sure if that's all the time or occasional. Post some pics would love to see.

Just put eggs in the incubator for my Silkie crosses. :) Silkie roo over EEs, Orpingtons, and last years Silkie-EE crosses (so we'll see some silkied-feather chicks this year!).

Anyone have tips on how to tell silkie chicks apart from silkied-feather cross chicks? My cross pullets from last years hatch have all the silkie traits aside from feathers (crest, fibro, extra toe, feathered legs, etc) soooo.....

I do know, at least, that all my pure silkies will be black, blue, blue partridge, or poooossibly white (I have one white hen but I don't think she is laying). So I know chicks of any other color are crosses. But it's the cross chicks of those colors that I think I may have trouble identifying. And before you say it, yes, the silkies and the silkie crosses lay the exact same egg!

Just put eggs in the incubator for my Silkie crosses. :) Silkie roo over EEs, Orpingtons, and last years Silkie-EE crosses (so we'll see some silkied-feather chicks this year!). 

Anyone have tips on how to tell silkie chicks apart from silkied-feather cross chicks? My cross pullets from last years hatch have all the silkie traits aside from feathers (crest, fibro, extra toe, feathered legs, etc) soooo.....

I do know, at least, that all my pure silkies will be black, blue, blue partridge, or poooossibly white (I have one white hen but I don't think she is laying). So I know chicks of any other color are crosses. But it's the cross chicks of those colors that I think I may have trouble identifying. And before you say it, yes, the silkies and the silkie crosses lay the exact same egg!
I can't wait to see those babies!! :)

I can't wait to see those babies!!
smile.png
Me too!!!

Ok everyone. So I crossed a green egg laying EE with a Silkie. My hens from that pairing are finally grown up and starting to lay. So far, every single hen lays a tan-cream egg. I have a couple left that have yet to start laying, but... what are the chances? I know the mother (the EE) only carried one copy of blue, so each chick from her should have a 50% chance of inheriting that blue eg gene (and giving me a green-layer). So whats up with my group?

I know I've seen other people cross silkies with Ameraucana or green-layer EEs. What color did they end up laying?

Ok everyone. So I crossed a green egg laying EE with a Silkie. My hens from that pairing are finally grown up and starting to lay. So far, every single hen lays a tan-cream egg. I have a couple left that have yet to start laying, but... what are the chances? I know the mother (the EE) only carried one copy of blue, so each chick from her should have a 50% chance of inheriting that blue eg gene (and giving me a green-layer). So whats up with my group?

I know I've seen other people cross silkies with Ameraucana or green-layer EEs. What color did they end up laying?

I had one that laid a mint green egg.

mine lays a sage green. It's darker than mint and it's glossy.

Back
Top Bottom