Silkie Cross Thread!! PICS!!

Pics
Now for my questions :D   I have a Golden Sebright male that I would like to cross with one of my Silkies.  One of my hens is partridge, and the other is black.  Should I try crossing him with Cindy instead? 

So, I'm doubting the whole sex-linked skin color theory. I've had 4 1st generation Sizzles hatch out (Silkie x Frizzled Cochin) and every single chick has had black skin. The last 2 to hatch out unfortunately died (first time broody hen error) so I wont be able to watch their progress, but I looked them over real well before I disposed of them :(
Genetically speaking, with an F1 cross I should've gotten some chicks with light skin and missing the extra toes, but that hasn't happened. Extra dark skin, extra digits, beards and heads that look like they'll sport a crest at some point. My Silkie rooster must have some wicked strong genetics, his babies look just like Silkies, except for the barbed feathers, of course. I'll still update on sexes as they grow, but I just can't believe all four Sizzle chicks hatched female. Obviously I'll never know on the 2 deceased chicks, but I don't think the 2 surviving chicks are both ladies either. They're already feathering at different rates. Oh well, to be continued I suppose...

Sorry about the two chicks. And yes please keep us posted about the ones that make it and can you post pics. Also what color are thdy

I think mixing chicken is more fun than breeding one breed because you never know what you'll get. I have a OEGB golden duckwing rooster (not very pure but looks pretty much like any OEGB golden duckwing). When his sister went broody I put some silkie eggs under her as well as her own eggs. all 4 eggs hatched and I got the weirdest chicken. The two OEGB chicks turned out to become the two smallest chicken I have. Especially the little rooster which is TINY!!!! On the other hand the silkie mix chicks( also one rooster and a hen) kept growing until the rooster grew to the size of my big laying hens. And their colour is incredible. The hen has a lot of orange/brown and the rooster has fire/orange saddle feathers which are just incredible. He is about twice the size of his father and silkie mother. The silkie is also the bantam breed so I have no idea how the offspring of two bantams could give me such a monster bird! This is why I like mixed brees. Somehow he must have gotten all the right genes that increase size. So now I have the smallest and largest roosters which are half brothers. My favorite thing about the large rooster is the colour. When the sun shines onto him he just looks awesome!!

The (not pure) OEGB father.

The OEGB parents.

The small rooster at about 20 weeks old. He has started to try crowing

The small hen. Behind her are her large half brother and sister.

The huge rooster and on the right the head of my largest laying hen. She is a little further away but you can still see that the rooster is very large. And just look at the colour of those feathers
th.gif

And here the silkie mix hen which is also quite large.

The two smaller chicken. The rooster is even smaller than his sister
gig.gif
but he is my favorite rooster because he has a nice temperament and he's tame.

I love mixing them too! Here is Agnes. She is my other Silkie/EE cross, and the hatch mate to Cindy. They look nothing alike! Agnes lays me a pretty little pale green egg daily :)

. The huge rooster and on the right the head of my largest laying hen. She is a little further away but you can still see that the rooster is very large. And just look at the colour of those feathers :th The color makes hIm look like he's a mix of black copper marans and a silkie.

Sorry about the two chicks. And yes please keep us posted about the ones that make it and can you post pics. Also what color are thdy

I've tried and tried to upload pics, and this is the only picture I can get to show (I BYC from my cell, and the mobile website gives me a hard time occasionally). Anyway, this is obviously not the best chick pic, but look at those cute tootsies! All 4 of the chicks have/had these amazing feet. They even have nice spacing on the extra digits. All of them have been black as well. And, all of them have been frizzles! So, now I'm wondering if my frizzled Cochin hen is really a frazzle. Her feathers aren't brittle, they're nice and soft. She doesn't have any typical frazzle baldness either. I dunno what's going on here! The parents of all of my sizzles is a black frizzled/frazzled Cochin hen and a buff (probably partridge based, he's very smutty but has amazing type IMO) Silkie rooster. I'm definitely going to hatch more of these chicks...after the hen hatches her chicks, raises them and starts laying again. Every hen I have is either sitting, tending chicks or being broken from broodiness right now :barnie

I've tried and tried to upload pics, and this is the only picture I can get to show (I BYC from my cell, and the mobile website gives me a hard time occasionally). Anyway, this is obviously not the best chick pic, but look at those cute tootsies! All 4 of the chicks have/had these amazing feet. They even have nice spacing on the extra digits. All of them have been black as well. And, all of them have been frizzles! So, now I'm wondering if my frizzled Cochin hen is really a frazzle. Her feathers aren't brittle, they're nice and soft. She doesn't have any typical frazzle baldness either. I dunno what's going on here! The parents of all of my sizzles is a black frizzled/frazzled Cochin hen and a buff (probably partridge based, he's very smutty but has amazing type IMO) Silkie rooster. I'm definitely going to hatch more of these chicks...after the hen hatches her chicks, raises them and starts laying again. Every hen I have is either sitting, tending chicks or being broken from broodiness right now :barnie

I know how you feel on the Broodys. And I have a polish frizzle and every chick I have hatched has been frizzle, and I'm also wondering if she is not a frazzle.

Back
Top Bottom