Silkie Cross Thread!! PICS!!

Pics
Well I saw my Salmon Favorelle Rooster paying some attention to a couple of my White Silkies. I don't know much about Genetics but I thought Salmon Silkies would be neat. It looks like most got strong Favorelle genes. Almost all did not get the gene for Black Skin etc. So I guess I'll end up with Silkie feathered Favorelle's.
I did end up with one that looks mostly Silkie that got the Salmon Color.

Well I saw my Salmon Favorelle Rooster paying some attention to a couple of my White Silkies. I don't know much about Genetics but I thought Salmon Silkies would be neat. It looks like most got strong Favorelle genes. Almost all did not get the gene for Black Skin etc. So I guess I'll end up with Silkie feathered Favorelle's. I did end up with one that looks mostly Silkie that got the Salmon Color.
Wow! They're just gorgeous!! I'm jealous

That's so cool. What color were the parents, and which one was the mother? I'm so wondering because I have a white Pekin bantam and a Black silkie roo, I was curious if maybe they may produce the same offspring as you? Here's my black silkie roo X white silkie hen cross:

(Hopefully) she is nine days old, she hatched under my white silkie, Luna. Thanks

She is adorable! The silkie was the hen and the Cochin was the roo. He was a mix of colors, he was mottled with white neck feathers and a blue/green tail. Betty has a sister that isn't quite as fluffy and has light barring on her neck. I wish I had a picture of the roo, we lost him to a raccoon.

Well I saw my Salmon Favorelle Rooster paying some attention to a couple of my White Silkies. I don't know much about Genetics but I thought Salmon Silkies would be neat. It looks like most got strong Favorelle genes. Almost all did not get the gene for Black Skin etc. So I guess I'll end up with Silkie feathered Favorelle's. I did end up with one that looks mostly Silkie that got the Salmon Color.
Very pretty! It's going to be interesting watching these feather out, they have such a unique pattern.

Hey WV - here are the 4 chicks hatched in the incubator on 2/9 - 2/12 (remember I had the 3 day spread).

Chick 1 has a terrible cross beak. Not sure what to do = male I think crown is bright pink- flat feathered (it hatched from a long narrow egg - fear it couldn't rotate in there properly - will never allow a long narrow egg to hatch again).

Chick 2 - frizzled - male? hoping female - crown is pink

Chick 3 - flat feathered - dark skin - female I hope

Chick 4 - flat feathered - bright pink comb - male I think.

The photo above has chick 1 behind and then chick 3 in the front. I've noticed on chick # 3 the hock feathers developed way later than the other three - who all appear to be male.

Above three photos are chick # 2 - frizzled - worried it is a boy. Comb is getting pinker but not as pink as the other two

Front chick is chick # 3 again - my only female? though the silkie gene seems to be dominant and not the cochin gene. maybe just a late developer?

Chick # 3 on my arm, Chick # 4 looking at her and Chick 1 (with the cross beak in the front). Not sure what to do with the cross beak one - of course it is the friendliest. If it was a girl, I'd for sure keep it. Don't have room for another rooster.

Last edited:
Production Red over White Silkie chicks. Was surprised to see two that are nearly identical and the yellow one. Will get better pics tomorrow hopefully but they're only 48 hours old now (less than 24 in the picture) so I didn't want to push my luck with the weather being the way it is - COLD! All appear to have yellow skin and 4 toes but the dark coloured chicks may have slightly slate-coloured legs.

Last edited:
She is adorable! The silkie was the hen and the Cochin was the roo. He was a mix of colors, he was mottled with white neck feathers and a blue/green tail. Betty has a sister that isn't quite as fluffy and has light barring on her neck. I wish I had a picture of the roo, we lost him to a raccoon.

Wow, he sounds gorgeous. I'm sorry for tyour loss. Those darn raccoons.They'rea chicken keeper's worst nightmare. Although, they ARE kinda cute, if you ask me. Nof when they're killing your babies, though. How cool. I just migjt have to try crossing my cochin and silkie

Last edited:
Wow, he sounds gorgeous. I'm sorry for tyour loss. Those darn raccoons.They'rea chicken keeper's worst nightmare. Although, they ARE kinda cute, if you ask me. Nof when they're killing your babies, though. How cool. I just migjt have to try crossing my cochin and silkie

He was by far the prettiest rooster I've ever had and if I get a chance I'll definitely breed them again. I don't mind them normally but this one was a menace. It took nine birds in a week before we trapped it. Now I keep my hound outside patrolling and make sure everyone goes up at night.

A better pic of my silkie cross chicks. Out of 4 there seem to be two very definite patterns that the chicks adhere to. All have yellow skin and 4 toes but the colour patterns are distinct.

Back
Top Bottom