silkie crossed with what?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by plester01, Aug 21, 2007.

1. plester01

plester01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2007
    Foreman,AR
    I just got a pair of white silkies and I am sure that they must be crossed with something. They have yellow beaks and yellow feet and neither one has much of a fluf on top of their heads. To me they look like a silkie body with a regular white chicken head. Sorry I dont have any picks, but does anyone have any ideas?[​IMG]

2. drafthorse39

drafthorse39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Is it possible to get a pic? Doesn't sound like a silkie at all

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

They have to be crossed with something. Silkies have black skin.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, I don't think you have silkies... Maybe something silkie feathered? I've crossed out silkies two generations and all the children have the dark skin...

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Yup, black skin is a dominant trait, I believe. Every chick I have that is crossed with Silkie has black skin.

6. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    We have 23 black silkies crossed with light brahmas, buff orpingtons, or barred rocks and all of them have dark skin and most have the extra silkie toes. I've been told that all silkie mixes should have the dark skin. I don't know this for sure though.
    Amy J.

7. plester01

Jul 23, 2007
    Foreman,AR
    Well whatever they are they have the five toes, feathered feet, silkie type feathers all over body, they are solid white but they have they yellow feet and beaks and no fluff on head and they are quite short. I thought that silkies were a bit taller. They are cute in an unusual sort of way and they only cost me $3.00 for the pair. No money lost. I think that they are somewhere between 4 and 6 months old. They still peep like babys.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Very odd. You should post a pic of them. If they are still peeping, i'd say they are closer to 3 months.

9. plester01

Jul 23, 2007
    Foreman,AR
    yea, if I ever get a good camera I will definately post pics. But for now I can only try to describe them.

10. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    feathers on the feet and white... sounds like a light brahma to me... here is a picture of one of my roosters... the hens have more white though... could this be what you have?
    [​IMG]
    Tes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by