SILKIE CROSSES

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
9 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
Happy Sunday, chicken friends! Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I was wondering if anyone out there has tried these crosses or has photos they would like to share? I am currently incubating eggs from a splash ameraucana, a black olive egger (ameraucana/BCM) and a white redsexlink/leghorn cross. All eggs fertilized by my white silkie cockerel. My excuse was to test his fertility before breeding silkies in the Spring, but have to admit, I find silkie crosses beautiful and am curious what they will look like. As he is most likely recessive white, I checked the chicken color genetics site (kippen) and am pretty sure the splash ameraucana will produce blue chicks, the olive egger will produce black chicks and the redsexlink/leghorn will produce white chicks. Hoping to see if they are sexlinked as well (female chicks with black skin/shanks, male with white/yellow skin/shanks). Thanks for any input, photos welcome! 😊

Thank you so much for responding @PioneerChicks, very sweet of you!
I thought my post just got buried, but it’s all good. 😊 Looks like only the cross with my olive Egger is developing at this point. The other two are fairly new layers, so did not expect much from them. So will likely end up with fluffy black chicks with muffs and beards! I’ll be sure to post some photos.🥰

Thank you so much for responding @PioneerChicks, very sweet of you!
I thought my post just got buried, but it’s all good. 😊 Looks like only the cross with my olive Egger is developing at this point. The other two are fairly new layers, so did not expect much from them. So will likely end up with fluffy black chicks with muffs and beards! I’ll be sure to post some photos.🥰
Aw, that sounds so cute!

did you hatch some and get any pics?
Lost track of this thread and just saw it today! 😊
Thought I would update:
The Olive Egger/Silkie crosses all ended up being black. Sold all of them, but I have reports from the new owners that the pullets are laying a light olive colored egg.
The Splash Ameraucana/silkie crosses all ended up being blue. I kept one from a later hatch, she is 4 months old and I am looking forward to what color egg she will lay, hopefully a blue shade.
The Leghorn mix/Silkie cross I kept ended up being male, despite having black skin, and was rehomed to a friend with more room for him.
I also hatched a single White Capped Black Polish/Silkie cross that I kept, a pullet. She is all black with a gorgeous green sheen to her feathers
I really love the way the two girls that I kept look. I find them quite beautiful with sweet personalities. No idea how they will be as layers, hopefully will take after their standard mothers and not go broody every 5 minutes!🤣

Leghorn cross/Silkie cockerel
4dfde71d-3613-4477-b5e2-ca932bad50d4.jpg

Olive Egger/Silkie pullets
IMG_9861.jpg

Ameraucana/Silkie pullet
IMG_9851.JPG

Polish/Silkie pullet (black), Ameraucana/Silkie pullet (blue)
IMG_9731.JPG

Back
Top Bottom