Silkie died - 3 days of lethargy and heavy breathing

Cbeck0

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2021
Northern Virginia
Only have 4 (2 showgirls {roos} and 2 silkies) ) and they are 5mos old. One roo has been attacking the red silkie. Realized he was probably trying to mate?? Giving the roo his own space for the past week but putting them all in the coop together at night. Red silkie had been more lethargic than normal (always very chill), breathing heavy, runny poo. Gave her (and the rest) egg yolk, nurturing-drench, vitamins and probiotics in water for 3 days. She was moving around and eating but staying in the coop until I came to see her. Found her deceased today. What else could I have done for her? And what do I do with the overly amorous rooster?? Thanks.

That's way too many cockerels for the 2 pullets. I would remove the remaining pullet until you can add more pullets or rehome the cockerels. As far as what else could have been done for the pullet that died, that's really hard to say. Was her crop functioning properly? How did her poop look? Did she have a vaulted skull (they're susceptible to head injuries). There are many questions

They get the high protein dumour/purina and chick grit. Vitamins in their water. Also treats of 1 or 2 marigolds or a cherry tomato, frozen watermelon when it’s hot, pinch of oats, but in moderation. The other pullet is with a calm roo who was protecting both silkies from the aggressive roo. I was afraid he was going to be hurt by the jerk.

They get the high protein dumour/purina and chick grit. Vitamins in their water. Also treats of 1 or 2 marigolds or a cherry tomato, frozen watermelon when it’s hot, pinch of oats, but in moderation. The other pullet is with a calm roo who was protecting both silkies from the aggressive roo. I was afraid he was going to be hurt by the jerk.
Have you heard that by feeding daily treats you are taking away from your bird getting a balanced diet?
A balanced diet is best and goes a long way to prevent some health issues that can be deadly.

Have you heard of coccidiosis?
Are you in the United States?

I highly recommend collecting some fresh poop from your remaining birds and getting it tested at your vet tomorrow for coccidia.

They don’t get all of those treats every day. Just when I pluck a flower on the way to the run or when we were training them to come when called. I didn’t give them medicated feed at first and they had nasty, runny poo. Treated with Corid but haven’t had a problem since.

Back
Top Bottom