Silkie do well in a chicken tractor

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mightieskeeper, Apr 13, 2009.

1. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    I have been thinking about getting some silkies but I would have to build a chicken tractor for them. How many bycers have their silkies on a tractor? Thanks, ryan

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I think they would do great in a tractor. They don't really need a tall coop since they don't really roost, well mine don't since they can't fly up.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Mine started out in a tractor and did well. Their feet feathers got really dirty because mine had an open bottom... so I eventually built them another coop and moved my ducks into the tractor.

Through a floor in where the sleep and you shouldn't have an issue! [​IMG]

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have just put 3 hens with 2 little chicks and a roo in one of my quick pen tractors. I have a dog crate in there so they can get well out of any elements with the chicks. It is an open bottom and is enclosed on 3 sides. Though it has a roost they don't use it. Gabrial does sleep on top of the crate though, to keep vigil over his family.
    They wanted back out in the grass so bad after hatching that I had to put them somewhere. They have always been out in a pen during the day.
    We have decent soil here and my birds don't get very dirty. Now dingleberries, that's another subject![​IMG]

5. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    "dingleberries" You got to be kidding! Great laugh. Do you wash them off?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by