Silkie doves?

Quote:
Could you explain this a little better.

I have silkies and I'm sure going to breed them together.

50% of the babies from a Silky x Silky pair will start out looking like this:
slide_dove_blond_extreme_silky.gif

Then after some time in their new feathers, they break off and look like this:
slide_pied_extreme_silky.gif

Neither bird can fly, but they may try to.
Like I said, it is the same as with Frizzled chickens.
Silky is co-dominant, so if you pair a Silky (heterozygous) dove to a normal dove, you will get half Silkies (heterozygous) and half smooth feathered. It can't carry the gene without expressing it.

Expected offspring:

Silky x Silky = 50% Silky, 25% Porcupine, 25% Smooth
Silky x Smooth = 50% Silky, 50% Smooth
Porcupine x Smooth = 100% Silky
Porcupine x Silky = 50% Porcupine, 50% Silky
Porcupine x Porcupine = 100% Porcupine

Thanks for posting Mary! My firend's doesn't look like any of the pictures. Turns out she has only 1, so she can't breed silkie to silkie.

Like I said, it does vary a lot. In the pictures, they are more silky than most I've seen. Usually the ones I see are just kinda ragedy/stringy looking, but in a pretty way (even though that doesn't sound possible). Without so much frilling out like those do.

I have a goregous & very special violet-neck silkie named Haven. VNs are supposed to have violet on their head & chest with a white ringneck & body. He is unique because in addition to his color mutation, he has 2 tangerine tipped feathers. I asked several breeders about this strange occurrence, & the only explanation I recieved was from John Fowler & he said that he is likely a MM (homozygous) at the mofider locus, but still is clueless about the 2 odd colored feathers. Dawn, (aka dove1111) was very helpful when I emailed her about him & sent his picture, & recommended me to ask John. I'm on the waiting list for one of Dawn's rare pieds, & can't wait for that day to come!!!

Back
Top Bottom