Silkie dragging foot

Mareks could be a possibility if she is dragging the leg the foot won’t move. An ingury with nerve damage might also be possible, especially after the mating attempt. Some people describe that one eyelid may be droopy or closed with Mareks. It has so many different symptoms and presents in different ways with each chicken. Only time will tell, but hopefully it is not Mareks. If you should lose her eventually, you could contact your state poultry vet to get a necropsy and testing for Mareks. That is the best way to diagnose it.
I would make sure that she is close to food and water, possibly in a dog crate or pen, and you could give her some crushed vitamin B complex into some food daily. That way she will be forced to rest her leg, and then you can take her out periodically to test her ability to walk.
I have moved her into the garage in a dog crate. I actually put a pillow in there and she is laying on it. I think she likes the pillow. What kind of B vitamin? Specifically for chickens or would human kind work? How long does it take for Marek’s to kill her? (Just so I have some kind of timeline to be able to rule it out or should it have already taken her....)

Human B complex vitamin tablets are fine, or you can use a poultry vitamin, such as Poultry Cell 1ml daily.
Many conditions can resemble Mareks, and some BYCers have chickens with Mareks who continue to live. Some can die soon after symptoms are seen, some may linger, and some may seem to recover, and later possibly relapse. Some chickens will starve themselves or suffer from infections, but some may eat well. Lameness can effect how much they eat and drink. The important thing is to support her with what she needs, since no one is able to be sure that she has Mareks at all until you can get her tested after death. She could surprise you and make a recovery, at I hope so.

Human B complex vitamin tablets are fine, or you can use a poultry vitamin, such as Poultry Cell 1ml daily.
Many conditions can resemble Mareks, and some BYCers have chickens with Mareks who continue to live. Some can die soon after symptoms are seen, some may linger, and some may seem to recover, and later possibly relapse. Some chickens will starve themselves or suffer from infections, but some may eat well. Lameness can effect how much they eat and drink. The important thing is to support her with what she needs, since no one is able to be sure that she has Mareks at all until you can get her tested after death. She could surprise you and make a recovery, at I hope so.
Thank you. I will go to tractor supply tomorrow and see what I can find. I did give her some nutri-drench earlier this evening but I didn’t see where it had B vitamins. But I had it on hand and I didn’t see where it would hurt. I’m hoping it’s not Marek’s and that she will make a full recovery. She’s always acted a little “different” than my other silkies but I really attributed it to personality. Now I’m beginning to think she might BE a little “different.”

NutriDrench does have most B vitamins except for riboflavin, important with foot and leg problems. Poultry Drench and most others have rivoflavin. B complex tablets are an inexpensive alternate, and grind easily. Chopped beef liver is packed with B vitamins.

NutriDrench does have most B vitamins except for riboflavin, important with foot and leg problems. Poultry Drench and most others have rivoflavin. B complex tablets are an inexpensive alternate, and grind easily. Chopped beef liver is packed with B vitamins.
Great to know. When I do a search on poultry drench, I get “poultry nutri-drench” which is the one I have. Is that the same thing?

Back
Top Bottom