Silkie dragging foot

krodgers

Songster
May 2, 2017
I’ve noticed that one of my silkies has been having trouble with her left foot. I noticed it several weeks ago when my roo was trying to mate with her. Her leg was king of out to the side and she couldn’t stand up when he got off of her. Today she was on the back corner of her pen not moving around and just hanging out. I picked her up and she moved her leg fine. Her toes on her right foot curl under and grasp my fingers. Her toes on her left foot do not curl under and grasp my finger. She has no visible injuries. Another thing I noticed is that her right eye is not staying open but her left eye is very bright and active. I’ve looked up Marek’s and I’m not sure if that is a possibility or not. It doesn’t really seem like it to me. None of the other silkies in my pen have shown any similar abnormalities. Please help me with any insight. Thank you.

CE3708D9-31D9-498E-8F8E-6745580AAC2C.jpeg
97A93719-67B9-4317-AD2D-B0EBFC6E5A69.jpeg
E57637E3-618A-4C16-80F4-6F5978321F17.jpeg

The top two photos are her eye that won’t stay open. The 3rd photo is of her alert eye.

Mareks could be a possibility if she is dragging the leg the foot won’t move. An ingury with nerve damage might also be possible, especially after the mating attempt. Some people describe that one eyelid may be droopy or closed with Mareks. It has so many different symptoms and presents in different ways with each chicken. Only time will tell, but hopefully it is not Mareks. If you should lose her eventually, you could contact your state poultry vet to get a necropsy and testing for Mareks. That is the best way to diagnose it.
I would make sure that she is close to food and water, possibly in a dog crate or pen, and you could give her some crushed vitamin B complex into some food daily. That way she will be forced to rest her leg, and then you can take her out periodically to test her ability to walk.

Back
Top Bottom