Silkie Duck Thread

Good to know.
I read somewhere that the silky feathers would get soaked in water and make the duck unable to swim properly.
But before starting an argument I wanted to ask you whether this is true.
Actually, your ducks look less silky than some I found on the interwebs (but yours look far better than these). Could it be that silkies with even more silky feathers might have problems?
I do not want to provoke you, I'm just curious.
No problem, Well honestly I think it has more to do with the oil on the feathers then the feather structure. For example tiny baby ducklings that have duckling fuzz can swim just fine and in deep water for long distances if raised by their mothers because they will get the oil from their mother while underneath of her. Where if you take a duckling raised artificially and put them in deep water pretty soon they begin to sink. No arguments here Frank, it's a legitimate concern. Hope this comparison helps

This comparison actually makes pretty sense, properly oiled ducklings can stay on the water longer than one might think although the firm plumage of adults appears to me more waterproof. But since our ducks are domestic and don't have to live out in the wild, little handicaps don't hurt. Most of our domestics could not survive under natural conditions actually.
I am just concerned with the kind of mutation that causes suffering but gets promoted by breeders because they fancy it and I was a little suspicious but did not want to offend you.

This comparison actually makes pretty sense, properly oiled ducklings can stay on the water longer than one might think although the firm plumage of adults appears to me more waterproof. But since our ducks are domestic and don't have to live out in the wild, little handicaps don't hurt. Most of our domestics could not survive under natural conditions actually.
I am just concerned with the kind of mutation that causes suffering but gets promoted by breeders because they fancy it and I was a little suspicious but did not want to offend you.
Nope no suffering with these silkie ducks! They can swim just fine and love to do so. They are little water hogs like my Anconas. I was honestly concerned about the cold as well but these guys are little champs and the silkie feathers seem to have no disadvantage to the regular feathered ducks. At least none that I have seen thus far.

Nice to see that the pair you got from me are doing well!
frow.gif

Ok, I see "Silkie" and I see "Silky" as the spelling of these. I'm going to stick with Silky. lol. Thoughts?
I'm thinking Feathersite has them as "Silky", and it differs from Silkie Chicken.

I should go see what Holderreads lists them as.

These are my deep thoughts for today... tune into tomorrow's episode of Theatre vs. Theater. :)

Ok, I see "Silkie" and I see "Silky" as the spelling of these. I'm going to stick with Silky. lol. Thoughts?
I'm thinking Feathersite has them as "Silky", and it differs from Silkie Chicken.

I should go see what Holderreads lists them as.

These are my deep thoughts for today... tune into tomorrow's episode of Theatre vs. Theater. :)
Holderread list them Silkie

Back
Top Bottom