Silkie Duck Thread

Pics
Hi, I'm trying to decide which bantam duck breed to try. So far these Silkies look great. Are they Friendly? Will they let you touch them? I had the standard ducks Welsh Harlequins (all drakes) from Cackle, a rouen and a mixed but were not put up at night and a predator got them. Now I want to build a duck pen with electric wire. I'm trying to decide on Calls, Australian Spotted or these Silkies. Any opinions would be appreciated thanks!

Last edited:
I just saw my first calls a few weeks ago at a swap meet and I can tell ya,just adorable...That's all I know....pix don't due them justice,alot smaller than I thought....Not sure how they are as far as size compared too the silky,,anyone know.....?

Well, I just hatched my first silkt! Only one survived my incubation. But I have 2 yearling girls setting 4 I beleive. So we shall see if they hatch. I also have more in incubator,for later this week or so.....

Hi, I'm trying to decide which bantam duck breed to try. So far these Silkies look great. Are they Friendly? Will they let you touch them? I had the standard ducks Welsh Harlequins (all drakes) from Cackle, a rouen and a mixed but were not put up at night and a predator got them. Now I want to build a duck pen with electric wire. I'm trying to decide on Calls, Australian Spotted or these Silkies. Any opinions would be appreciated thanks!
They will come fairly close but don't really do the whole touching thing, but then again none of my birds do. I have had a few individual chickens that would come up for a very light pet on the chin or neck but in general birds are just not like cats or dogs. I personally love the silkies but they can be quite expensive and are harder to hatch from what I hear. Wish my eggs were fertile so I could give personal experience on the hatching part but I've got an unmotivated drake!
I just saw my first calls a few weeks ago at a swap meet and I can tell ya,just adorable...That's all I know....pix don't due them justice,alot smaller than I thought....Not sure how they are as far as size compared too the silky,,anyone know.....?
Some of the older silkie bloodlines are a bit larger like between a mallard and a call but the newer blood coming out of holderreads are just as small as the calls. I've got 1 hen that is closer to the original size but the rest are the smaller call size.
Well, I just hatched my first silkt! Only one survived my incubation. But I have 2 yearling girls setting 4 I beleive. So we shall see if they hatch. I also have more in incubator,for later this week or so.....
Yay!
wee.gif
Hoping you get some better hatching results. Feel free to share any tips you might encounter. I'm having hatching envy because all my eggs are not fertile.
sad.png

I just tossed out another 11 silkie duck eggs
rant.gif
So disappointed with this drake.
Sorry to hear that, that sucks! But I had read one of the duck threads and it was saying the drake was carried around was acting bad, so I guess ducks are like my chickens also. Ducks are entertaining to watch. I am bidding on ebay for some calls, wish me luck! I hope your drake will get busy with his girls!!

Just got the email today that my ducklings are shipping out this afternoon from Holderreads. I paid the extra for express shipping so I'm expecting them by Thursday. I ordered these guys after the bobcat attacks and no luck finding adult drake and now that the drake I did find seems to be not interested in breeding I'm really glad I did order these. Anyway I'm so excited to add them to the flock.
wee.gif

Just got the email today that my ducklings are shipping out this afternoon from Holderreads. I paid the extra for express shipping so I'm expecting them by Thursday. I ordered these guys after the bobcat attacks and no luck finding adult drake and now that the drake I did find seems to be not interested in breeding I'm really glad I did order these. Anyway I'm so excited to add them to the flock.
wee.gif
Very cool; can't wait too see pics of your babys...On your drake not interested,are you sure your feeding him manly foods.....?....
gig.gif

Very cool; can't wait too see pics of your babys...On your drake not interested,are you sure your feeding him manly foods.....?....
gig.gif
Not sure about manly food but he is not a happy camper now. I threw in a little snowy drake to try to get some competition going on for the girls.
fl.gif
hope it works, then I gotta get the other drake out ASAP in hopes of getting a few pure eggs if it does work.

Back
Top Bottom