silkie egg bound

parrotlady66

Chirping
Apr 8, 2019
Help I have year old silkie chick she has been laying eggs for the past few weeks tonight i went to check on my girls and could not find her.
she was in the coop and a mess she has yucky stuff coming out of her bum area and swollen in the back end I do think she is egg bound
any help would be greatly appreciated
we have given her a warm bath with epsom salt ..
thank you

Do you have any pictures of her vent area or her droppings? Has anyone been pecking at her vent? If you suspect her to be egg bound, you may want to give her some calcium or Tums, a half a tablet, get her drinking some water, and place her on a warm moist towel sat on a heating pad to low. Has she ever had any problems in the past with her eggs and shells?

If she is egg bound, the warm epsom salt baths should help. I have heard they also need more calcium. Some buy calcium tablets at the store and crush them up for their chickens. Here is an article that may help:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention.66978/
Thank you .. she is on her second bath .. i hope this helps
Do you have any pictures of her vent area or her droppings? Has anyone been pecking at her vent? If you suspect her to be egg bound, you may want to give her some calcium or Tums, a half a tablet, get her drinking some water, and place her on a warm moist towel sat on a heating pad to low. Has she ever had any problems in the past with her eggs and shells?
Hi
I don't think anyone is pecking at her vent she is just a little messy down thee and you can see her straining and puffed out , her crop has food in it but it's not completely full, i can feel her back is is puffy and kind of hard and soft at the same time
thanks for getting back to me

she hasn't had any problems in the past she had laid 3 eggs in the past week she will be a year old in May

Thank you .. she is on her second bath .. i hope this helps

Hi
I don't think anyone is pecking at her vent she is just a little messy down thee and you can see her straining and puffed out , her crop has food in it but it's not completely full, i can feel her back is is puffy and kind of hard and soft at the same time
thanks for getting back to me
her dropping are just kind of leaking out and they are white and gooey

Thank you for your suggestions But our little Chantal passed away last night. :hitwe tried what we could for her , she was such a cutie and her little Silkie Mate Pedro was crowing for her this morning ..

Back
Top Bottom