silkie experts! where are you? a few more Q's added, Page 3.

L*A*G*

Songster
11 Years
Nov 19, 2008
planet chicken
i got quite a few Q's for silkie experts.
first...
1 do only male silkies have a wattle?
2 at what age do they have a noticable wattle?
3 at what age does a silkie roo crow?
4 at what age does a silkie hen lay?
5 how many eggs a week?
6 at what age does a silkie hen go broody?
7 at what age does a silkie get fully feathered(furred?) including the tail and poof crown on its head?

I love silkies yes I do! I love silkies how about you?
ya.gif

Last edited:
1 do only male silkies have a wattle?

No, although bearded females may not get them, nb ones will.

2 at what age do they have a noticable wattle?

Anywhere from 6 weeks to 4 or more months.

3 at what age does a silkie roo crow?

Anywhere from 3 months and beyond.

4 at what age does a silkie hen lay?

Usually 6-10 months

5 how many eggs a week?

3-6

6 at what age does a silkie hen go broody?

Once she's laying

7 at what age does a silkie get fully feathered(furred?) including the tail and poof crown on its head?

4-6 months, but to be completely filled out, around 12 months.

Does quality have anything to do with this? I have some silkie hens that I received from Ideal in Sept. and they started laying in mid Feb. Not one has gone broody
idunno.gif
Also, one of my roosters got his wattles and comb at about 6 weeks and crowed for the first time at this age. So I am guessing it all depends?

Quote:
Quality does have to do with it.

My roosters didnt get their combs until around 5-6 months old. Also, they are alot harder to sex when they come from quality stock, rather than hatchery stock.

One of my girls just started laying at 6 months 2 weeks old.

Hatchery quality silkies tend to develop more rapidly, so yes, they may lay and go broody and crow earlier, and you can usually tell their gender earlier.

I have one boy? that is about 22 months old. I am convinced that he is a boy, but at a show at the end of November both George and the silkie judge were arguing for him being a large combed girl. He was crowing up a storm on Friday or Saturday morning, but his blue partridge markings, tail carriage and stance are not quite as cocky as some of the boys'.

With my silkies, they lay eggs daily--as frequently as any bird bred for egg laying. That is, until they go broody
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom