Silkie feathers question?

LittleBigBantam

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
So I have 2 half silkie roos and one half silkie hen. If I were to breed a half silkie roo and hen together would I get the silkie feathers? I read somewhere the trait is recessive.

And if I bred my half silkie to one of my other crosses, is there still a possibility of getting silkie feathers the next generation?

Last edited:
So I have 2 half silkie roos and one half silkie hen. If I were to breed a half silkie roo and hen together would I get the silkie feathers? I read somewhere the trait is recessive.

And if I hired my half silkie to one of my other crosses, is there still a possibility of getting silkie feathers the next generation?
Approximately 25% of the chicks would be silkied, but it doesn't always work that way with every hatch. The 25% is on average so one hatch might be all silkied or all normal or anything in between. Since silkied is recessive a bird has to have two genes for silkied; one from each parent. So with silkie crosses there is a one in four possibility of silkied showing up.

Approximately 25% of the chicks would be silkied, but it doesn't always work that way with every hatch. The 25% is on average so one hatch might be all silkied or all normal or anything in between. Since silkied is recessive a bird has to have two genes for silkied; one from each parent. So with silkie crosses there is a one in four possibility of silkied showing up.
Okay! And if I were to cross my half silkie with an easter egger. Then I crossed those chicks back to a half silkie, would I get any silkied chicks?

Okay! And if I were to cross my half silkie with an easter egger.50% would have the silkied gene but would look normal feathered. Then I crossed those chicks back to a half silkie, would I get any silkied chicks?
25% would be silkied providing you can figure out what 50% of the first generation carried the silkied gene.

Oh okay I got it! Sorry haha. Thank you
You are welcome. No need to be sorry as it's rather fun to figure out possibilities.
These are silkie/phoenix crosses. Again, it's rather fun to figure out what to cross them with to get a silkied Phoenix longtail with a crest and feathered feet.

cross.jpg
cross3.jpg
cross1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom