Silkie feed plan!

The Cave

Songster
Oct 18, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I was doing some research and I saw feeding silkies higher protein really helps them flourish as well as a supplemental feed with more vitamins. So I’m just curious what all of the silkie lovers feed their show quality silkies. I had them on the usual chick starter then grower but I’m thinking about switching to something other than layer feed now they are at the appropriate age. Maybe a mixture of things or a high protein supplement feed mixed in with layer feed. Thanks for your consideration in advance :)

I have silkies, just hatchery silkies. not show unless my daughter decides to show them. Then with the pandemic and all.
I feed or try to feed a balanced ration with my silkies other full size chickens. They also free range so they get fresh greens, bugs whatever they find.
You could give them meal worms and other treats. I would keep a balanced ration going.
here is 1 link it is old

Also there is thread for silkies might try there and also could use the search function. There are some old threads which you may find helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-is-the-best-feed-for-show-silkies.294955/

Hope this helps some sorry if not

I have silkies, just hatchery silkies. not show unless my daughter decides to show them. Then with the pandemic and all.
I feed or try to feed a balanced ration with my silkies other full size chickens. They also free range so they get fresh greens, bugs whatever they find.
You could give them meal worms and other treats. I would keep a balanced ration going.
here is 1 link it is old

Also there is thread for silkies might try there and also could use the search function. There are some old threads which you may find helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-is-the-best-feed-for-show-silkies.294955/

Hope this helps some sorry if not
I tried a bit of searching, just figured maybe there would be more insight now than that older post! Thank you, I do supplement meal worms but they are expensive and I have 0 interest in growing my own. Fruits and veggies I can do, meal worms no haha

Back
Top Bottom