1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DarkWater1929, Nov 23, 2015.

1. DarkWater1929

DarkWater1929 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Redding, California
    Help? Sorry about the quality of the photos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    That silkie is too young to sex for sure. Silkies are one of the hardest breeds to sex so I'd wait a couple more weeks. But, it is looking mighty suspicious to me due to the large comb.

3. DarkWater1929

DarkWater1929 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Redding, California
    Ack! I was worried about that comb.... My no-doubt-about-it silkie rooster has a much smaller comb than this character has already developed. Sigh. I have so MANY roosters! I should be kept apart from all chickens until their first egg is safely on the nest. This is because I get so involved with them as individuals, that when the time comes to get rid of one, I can hardly do it! I am a terrible bleeding-heart. All they have to do is appear to like me, and they have my utter loyalty. Pathetic, honestly.

Thank you!
    Patience

4. sisq

sisq Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    Rooster in my opinion.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Too young to be sure.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you don't want all the roosters, you can buy pullets at point of lay, or laying hens. With silkies being so hard to ID gender- it's the best way to avoid the rooster problem.

I'm thinking yours is a roo because of the comb at this age. He is very young but, his comb isn't going to shrink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by