Silkie Gender?

jettgirl24

Songster
9 Years
Feb 21, 2010
Duvall, WA
Hi Guys - I know Silkies are notoriously hard to figure out and this is my first Silkie and non-single combed bird so I'm wondering if you guys have any guesses. This blue Silkie is 15 weeks old. It's brooder mate - a BO/Marans roo - is the same age and has been crowing for a good month now. No crows out of this one. S/He is also really good about babies. I had a batch hatch 2 weeks later and the Silkie took them right in and sat on them to keep them warm. I also have two more Silkie babies that are now 2 weeks old and this one was totally sweet with them when I (veeeery carefully) introduced them.

Due to behavior I'm leaning toward pullet, but what do you guys think, pullet or cockerel?

BlueSilkie2-1.jpg

BlueSilkie3-1.jpg

And just for cute factor
smile.png

BlueSilkie-1.jpg

BlueSilkie4.jpg

Last edited:
love.gif
soooo cute Idk if they are female or male but the cone does look pretty big I can't see any wattles yet so maybe it is a hen sorry I can't help but they are all just to cute

Last edited:
Well shoot... I agree with cat... The comb looks a little big to me as well but no waddles whatsoever. It's a little lumpy I guess but not overly so. This one might be a mystery until it either lays an egg or crows! Frankly I don't mind either way as it's a lovely little thing and will be perfect for my breeding flock regardless of which it turns out to be. Unfortunately I really want to figure it out ASAP as I'm entering S/He in the open poultry class at the fair and I don't want to feel like a fool if I guess wrong and the judges know exactly which it is
smile.png
LOL

I am new to silkies, but I spent a lot of time watching my silkie chicks and behavior turned out to be the biggest clue on the ones that weren't obvious. I vote for pullet but don't tell the judge you heard it from me!
lau.gif

It may just be the angle of the first two pics, but it looks to me like there are streamers starting. The first pic shows what looks to be them especially well.

Ok, I'm going to go home and pick this little thing apart. I'll try to take more pics too. I'm not sure I've noticed the start of streamers in person but I'm going to look more closely this evening. Argh, it's so frustrating! If it is a little cockerel hopefully it's be an extraordinarily sweet one... It's affection and gentleness with the babies has been awesome
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom