Silkie genetics questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickfever, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Chickfever

Chickfever Songster

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    Crazy weather won't let me stay online for more than about 5 minutes at a time and then I've gotta start all over when I get it back. So, if there's a kind person would could sort of point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it and please don't roll your eyes and puff when I ask [​IMG].

I have a (I assume) splash silkie trio. They don't have poufy heads nor do they have beards. Do the roos or the hens carry the vault gene? What about beards?

[​IMG]

*I lost my dsl 4 times while typing this [​IMG] *

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    You will not likely get either vaults or beards from your trio.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    For what ever reason, you will find more vaulted skulls among the females than among males, but it isn;t exclusive. I've never seen a gene documented for causing it. Crests and vaults are not synonymous, although I've never heard of a vaulted skull when there wasn't a crest. But there are plenty of well-crested bird without a vault.

How old are your birds? If chicks, the crest may not have grown in from the non-vaulted head yet.

4. Chickfever

Chickfever Songster

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    So even if I cross with some with vaulted heads or beards there's no possibility? They are pretty colored too [​IMG].

They are old enough to lay. I bought them at an auction so I'm not sure how old they are.

5. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Songster

It has been suggested that a gene causing vaults (cerebral hernia) is closely linked with the crest gene. However some types of crest are not associated with vaults.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Crest and beards are both incompletely dominant. If you cross a crested bird with a non crested one they offspring will usually have smaller crests, which can vary from a tassel styled crest of just a few feathers up to a full crest. Likewise with beards.

7. Chickfever

Chickfever Songster

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    So it would be a toss up with a cross. Maybe one day I'll stumble across some pretty ones [​IMG].

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: