Silkie genetics.

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
I guess this isn't really a question, I just found it odd and maybe someone could shed some light on it.

I have a few silkie cross hens(with normal feathering). I have a Plymouth Barred rock roo. For fun I thought I would incubate some of their eggs just to see what this silly cross would like and plus I like to see them running around my yard!

Well I hatched all 5 of the 5 eggs I decided to incubate and now that the chicks are feathering in 3 of the 5 have silkie type feathers. I assumed (wrongly I now know) that the silkie feathering was a recessive trait.

Just seemed strange too me that the majority of the chicks had silkie type feathering when they are only 1/4 silkie and both parents have normal feathering. All 5 chicks have an extra toe and feathered legs though.

Silkie feathering is recessive. Could be that you already crossed your rocks with the silkies? (doesn't seem likely or else you should know it, but ...)

Anyways, some recessive genes are leaky. And while it isn't common with silkie feathering, neither is it rare. Chances are that the cross birds will have some silkie feathering and a lot of normal feathers. I gave a neighbor some of my crosses--they have about 1/2 silkie feathering/half normal.

Nope definitely pure barred rocks( came from a hatchery not hatched on our farm). Maybe they will have some normal feathering but right now at 6 weeks they look all silkie feathering. Oh well it will be neat to see what they grow into!

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom