Silkie "Grooming"

MamaP0912

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 3, 2013
Hi there!!
I am wanting to get a Silkie. Not for showing or anything but im wanting tips on how to keep their feet clean and trimming around their eyes. Is it very difficult and do you have to do it often?
We live in an area that gets quite a bit of rain. Will that be a problem?
Thanks in advance!!

hi! i have 6 adult silkies (2 roos and 4 hens). I bought them this past August and am just now getting to where I need to trim them up a bit. One of my hens has a huge crest on her head, so she will need clipping around her eyes more often than the others. It really just depends on the chicken's crest. But it really isn't that difficult -- just take some scissors and trim up so you can see their eyes and they'll be good to go for a few months.

as far as their feet, are you planning to let them free range? if so, they'll scratch a lot of their foot feathers off so it won't be a big deal. if they will be kept up in a coop, you can just trim them back every few months as necessary.

as far as the rain, if they have a place that they can get off of the wet ground then i wouldn't worry about that either. they'll still scratch off their foot feathers even on wet ground.

i highly recommend them. they like to be held and petted, and are the FUNNEST chickens to watch! post a picture once you get one!

Great!! Thank you so much! I reserved one at our local feed store. I am very excited about it! They will free range part of the day so hopefully that will keep her clean enough! I will definitely post a picture!! :)

Back
Top Bottom