Silkie has swollen chest!

gabz44

Chirping
Dec 26, 2015

[IMG

My 10 week old silkie has a swollen mushy chest. Any thoughts ? He seems fine otherwise

Last edited:
I would see if there is an avian vet in your area in case there is air leaking into the chest or a subcutaneous fluid build up.

If no avian vet is available then back to basics-
Is she breathing okay?
When you press on it does it rebound immediately or stay dented temporarily?
Is she eating and drinking okay?
Is the crop noticeable beyond the swelling?
Is she alert and active?
Is she eating and drinking normally?

Sorry to play 20 questions, nothing really comes to mind immediately if he seems find beyond the swelling unless its his crop or fluid/air buildup but normally those have other symptoms.

AJ

@aohare
Is she breathing okay? Yes
When you press on it does it rebound immediately or stay dented temporarily?rebounds
Is she eating and drinking okay? Yes
Is the crop noticeable beyond the swelling? Nope
Is she alert and active? Yes
Is she eating and drinking normally? Yes

@wyorp
What type of feed do you provide?
See picture of feed- I've only given a little lettuce and sunflower seeds a couple times
What kind of treats? Do they have grit? What type of bedding?
Bedding is shavings mixed with hay that has sweet pdz in it
No grit but I think that may have some in it???
10wks. looks like a full crop. What does his poo look like? Not sure what poo looks like I need to maybe separate him to see?

It's more on the right side but center and a little right. Feels like a water balloon

wyorp
What type of feed do you provide?
See picture of feed- I've only given a little lettuce and sunflower seeds a couple times
What kind of treats? Do they have grit? What type of bedding?
Bedding is shavings mixed with hay that has sweet pdz in it
No grit but I think that may have some in it??? Most chick starter does not have grit.
10wks. looks like a full crop. What does his poo look like? Not sure what poo looks like I need to maybe separate him to see?

It's more on the right side but center and a little right. Feels like a water balloon
I would make grit available. My biggest concern was that he had an impacted crop by eating bedding, but give him some grit, if he goes at it with gusto, then you are on the right track. Depending on what he ate, time will tell if the crop empties. Does his breath smell?
They usually have it a the feed store. Just offer it free choice.
IMO if grit were mixed in with my feed I would not buy it. Granite is heavy and is not really "feed". Your chicks will only pick up a small amount as needed, so a small bag will last a long time.
By all means give them lettuce, veggies, fruit, sunflower seed as a treat, just make sure the grit.

I used chick starter until mine were about 10-12wks old, then I went with a "flock raiser" type of feed which I still feed. Has a higher amount of protein and can be given to poultry at all ages and sexes. I make sure to offer oyster shell free choice, so the girls that are laying have added calcium.

Edited, didn't realize I had the blue letters so BIG
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom