Swollen abdomen, soft. Not laying eggs.

SonjaS

Chirping
10 Years
Nov 22, 2013
Costa Rica
Audrey is 7 or 8 years old and has a soft swollen abdomen. She sits in the nest box for the normal time and then goes about her business as usual but no egg has come. She seems perfectly fine otherwise. No pasty butt and poop seems normal (see pic) Free range, acts normal during the day, perches as usual with no inhibition of movement. It is dry and hot here at this time and extras are cherry tomatoes, bananas and water hyacinth, pick your own.
But something is definitely not right with that big butt!
I would be much appreciated if anyone has some thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_20240404_162303.jpg
    IMG_20240404_162303.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240404_162621.jpg
    IMG_20240404_162621.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240404_162757.jpg
    IMG_20240404_162757.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240404_162709_1.jpg
    IMG_20240404_162709_1.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 3
But something is definitely not right with that big butt!
Ascites (water belly) or EYP (internal laying) are both possibilities.

The first *almost* seeming more likely.. but for the lay box behavior. Neither are truly fixable.

Sounds like she's adjusted to the condition.. Some folks will drain to verify color of the fluid or to ease discomfort. It will eventually fill back up.

Still looking beautiful at her age, even with all that junk in her trunk. 🥰

The first *almost* seeming more likely.. but for the lay box behavior. Neither are truly fixable.

Sounds like she's adjusted to the condition.. Some folks will drain to verify color of the fluid or to ease discomfort. It will eventually fill back up.

Thank you very much. I will look up both of those.

Another possibility I forgot to mention or at least directly.. is standard junk in the trunk.. aka fat accumulation. Sorry, I didn't mean to jump to any conclusions!
This is a new thing....maybe 2 or 3 days...I think fat would sneak up on you slowly.

Back
Top Bottom