Silkie has swollen chest!

Ok just went out to get grit- do I just put in a bowl???
No I didn't smell bad breath but will check again

Other questions - at what point to I see a vet? If this doesn't work?thanks for all your advice . I'm new to this so learning ...@wyorp

Just put a small amount in a bowl. They will eat a few pieces.
Make sure he is drinking.
Did you notice if the crop went down at all since yesterday or not sure?
Do you still have a light on in your coop?
I was going to tell you to let him eat his fill tonight and then withhold all food until morning and see if the crop has gone down any.
Does he seem distressed or is he ok?

@gabz44
I want to clarify something.
In no way am I judging on the light still being used in the coop.
I am aware you have Silkies (which are adorable by the way) and they do require a bit of different care especially in cold weather.

My line of thinking is if they have light all night and access to food all night they will nap, eat, play, nap, eat, play all night long. (mine did)

Since you still have the light in the coop, In order to determine if his crop is actually emptying you would need to let him eat, then remove the food at "bedtime" check his crop, then first thing in the am check the crop again before he has anymore food. That's the only way you can judge if his crop is emptying. He may just be a little piglet
smile.png
If that's the case once they no longer need extra heat, he should just fill up before bed, sleep through the night, and be ready to eat in the am.

Hope that helps.

Does his crop seem to be emptying at all?

@Wyorp Rock smart you are right on I will do that with the food. No it's not going down. I thought it was this afternoon then around 5 pm it was bigger again. He seems fine otherwise ( walking, playing, breath smells fine)
I actually had a bunch of people come at me re the lights lol. My silkie breeder told me if I put them outside in the cold they would die and my husbands allergies were so bad with the chicks inside so felt I had no choice and tried to install them as safe as I could. Hopefully they will be weaned of it soon and it will be warmer out too.
Thanks again for all of your advice- so helpful! Fingers crossed he's better tomorrow after some grit.

@Wyorp Rock smart you are right on I will do that with the food. No it's not going down. I thought it was this afternoon then around 5 pm it was bigger again. He seems fine otherwise ( walking, playing, breath smells fine)
I actually had a bunch of people come at me re the lights lol. My silkie breeder told me if I put them outside in the cold they would die and my husbands allergies were so bad with the chicks inside so felt I had no choice and tried to install them as safe as I could. Hopefully they will be weaned of it soon and it will be warmer out too.
Thanks again for all of your advice- so helpful! Fingers crossed he's better tomorrow after some grit.
If your breeder is local, they know their stock and your weather conditions, I would follow their guidelines
wink.png

They can be dusty little stinkers, so I understand the allergies and needing to get them out of the house.
I brooded mine in the coop, but it was summer. They did need heat at night.

I understand worrying about them, I installed camera(s) before I got them so I could see what was going on
roll.png
while I was inside and could see & hear them in the middle of the night (they partied like rock stars at 2am). The camera(s) are still there 6mos. later and no plans to remove them. Helps me see when everyone is inside for nighttime head counts, whos laying, etc.
big_smile.png

Keep us updated. Hopefully all will be well in the am
fl.gif

@Wyorp Rock

Brought him in last night with no food and to watch him. Seems happy this morning but no difference in the swelling . Feels like a water ballon

in chest that's airy with a little sand. That's the only way I can describe it.

@Wyorp Rock

Brought him in last night with no food and to watch him. Seems happy this morning but no difference in the swelling . Feels like a water ballon
in chest that's airy with a little sand. That's the only way I can describe it.
I was hoping it would go down. How long was the withdrawal period? Is he still drinking, water is very important. Does his poo look normal?
It does sound like he may have a bit of impacted crop.
There are all sorts of treatments here on BYC and on chicken blogs.
Most people will try to treat at home, some have a hard time finding a vet that will even treat a chicken, but you can try if you are inclined to shell out $$$.
He may have a ingested some bedding or long pieces of grass or has a slow crop.
I found a few articles that may help in the meantime of a few basic things you can try until you can find a vet.

To be honest Terry Golson is someone who I have followed even before I had chickens. She has a common no nonsense approach that I really like. Here is an article by her, paying close attention to the last paragraph.
http://hencam.com/henblog/2014/07/a-full-crop-2/ (See the last paragraph)

Another is The Chicken Chic:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

And another by twocrows her on BYC:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Back
Top Bottom