Silkie hatched 3 chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sis, Sep 8, 2009.

1. sis

sis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    PA
    I have only hatched with incubator and decided to see what would happen with my broody silkie, I hatched her last November, she ended up with about a dozen eggs with some from her sisters. sometimes two hens shared the nest to keep them all warm.
    They hatched one chick on Friday, and two on Sunday, two yellow/white and one dark grey/black ! I can hardly believe the amount of excitment in my house over this.
    They have thier own playhouse/coop. The 5 silkies have thier own fenced area15x15ft. I put a chick waterer and starter food in the playhouse, on Sunday, the buff silkie was teaching the oldest chick to scratch and eat.
    I wonder who the other chicks will think thier mother is? the buff or the black silkie? the chicks now switch from under one hen to the other.
    I will try to get some photos up later today.

2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Ya gotta love those silkies. I had two hens that hatched three Orpington eggs. They've both shared in raising them. They would sit next to each other and let the babies move from one hen to the other at will. My silkies have their own coop also (see my BYC Page).

3. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Silkies will raise all kinds of chicks. We have even put pheasant eggs under the broodies!!1 They are wonderful mothers![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by