Silkie head twitch??

kurby22

Crossing the Road
Apr 12, 2021
Sacramento Area, California
So I just acquired these two silkies from a lady locally and I’ve never had silkies so I don’t know what’s normal.

They don’t twitch much when they’re in their brooder, but when I get one out to hold the twitching gets very noticeable. They are eating, drinking, eyes are clear and no visible balance issues. No runny nose either.

Is this a nervous tic? A nervous system issue? Vitamin deficiency? I gave them electrolytes but I’m not sure what else to do?

Usually its a sign of vitamin deficiency. Id try feeding some scraps high in vitamin e/selenium and thiamine. Leafy greens, black oil sunflower seeds, sweet potato, peas, investigate your feed as well and make sure it has those vitamins in it.

How old are they? Is it possible they were pecked on the head by another chicken? I have a silkie who was pecked on the head by my standard roo before I separated them-it wasn't bad and didn't leave a wound, but she had a head tic for awhile after that. Now it's only when she's stressed out, if my kids run up to her or if I don't announce my presence well before I get to the coop door or when I integrated new babies. If she's only doing it when you pick her up, it sounds stress related like my Eloise.

Usually its a sign of vitamin deficiency. Id try feeding some scraps high in vitamin e/selenium and thiamine. Leafy greens, black oil sunflower seeds, sweet potato, peas, investigate your feed as well and make sure it has those vitamins in it.
Well that’s the thing I’m wondering...I just got them last night and the lady gave me a bag of “treats” she gives them and it’s tons of seeds and meal worms. They are only 6 weeks old and I don’t give treats like that at all till the chicks are way older, just so I can make sure they eat a balanced diet and get all the right nutrients. Could they have maybe been getting too many treats and not eating enough regular chick feed? I also noticed that it happens when there are loud noises. They’re quite skittish, and very reliant on each other, but seem totally healthy other than the twitch when I hold them haha. Maybe it’s me?? :) I will keep an eye on them and give them some healthy greens. Thanks!

How are your silkies doing now? I have a silkie hen who has also had an odd head tick since she hatched. She’s about 2 years old now and it subsided a bit but still happens occasionally. I wonder if it’s something to do with the breed??

How are your silkies doing now? I have a silkie hen who has also had an odd head tick since she hatched. She’s about 2 years old now and it subsided a bit but still happens occasionally. I wonder if it’s something to do with the breed??
They are both good! They do still do the tick but not nearly as often. They seem to do it most often when there are loud noises of some sort. I noticed they always did it a lot when in the living room with the TV on but seemed okay in a bedroom without noise. Makes me think you are right and I have wondered if it has to do with the vaulted skulls that silkies have and how sound reverberates in their tiny floofy heads. They’re two peas in a pod and two of my chattiest birds haha. But they do still shake their heads a lot more often than any other chicken I have. :)

Attachments

• 837BCD83-DFE0-4BAC-8E5C-533E16035BB0.jpeg
    837BCD83-DFE0-4BAC-8E5C-533E16035BB0.jpeg
    769.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 248323F5-A359-4056-8597-D36880F17149.jpeg
    248323F5-A359-4056-8597-D36880F17149.jpeg
    594.4 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom