Silkie help!

Hen or rooster?

• Total voters

Lidia113

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2020
I don’t remember exactly, Will hve to go back and look at pics but I got her back i March/May. Is this a she or a he?! Doesn’t crow. But bigger come than a silkie I had 2 years ago. She and my sebright are the same age but I only get one small egg, the other ones are from my other girls. It looks too big to be the sebrights so I assumed it’s Silkies. But being wrong about a Cochin hen recently, I wanted to turn to you, the experts! Help!

Attachments

• 98294472-186A-4631-8DBF-2905FC4B2D98.jpeg
    98294472-186A-4631-8DBF-2905FC4B2D98.jpeg
    514.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 0CD0EF6A-2C1F-4227-B5F1-BEB4E277F524.jpeg
    0CD0EF6A-2C1F-4227-B5F1-BEB4E277F524.jpeg
    443.8 KB · Views: 9
I work full time and it’s like 15 degrees I. Jersey now lol but I was thinking maybe I could bring the sebright in for a day or two and see who lays?!

I will admit, my first.thought was cockerel, but after further looking I think im changing my mind.
I personally have never seen a silkie with a single comb, so I'm assuming this is a mixed silkie? It also looks like it has a crest instead of a normal poof. I'm borderline with this. Its not a huge comb or wattles if this is a mixed breed and I would lean towards pullet. Especially since you are getting an egg larger than what a seabright would lay. I also don't see the streamers that most males would get.

I will admit, my first.thought was cockerel, but after further looking I think im changing my mind.
I personally have never seen a silkie with a single comb, so I'm assuming this is a mixed silkie? It also looks like it has a crest instead of a normal poof. I'm borderline with this. Its not a huge comb or wattles if this is a mixed breed and I would lean towards pullet. Especially since you are getting an egg larger than what a seabright would lay. I also don't see the streamers that most males would get.
I usually get my ee chicks from one place, but the damn tsc had chick days when I went to get feed and I got her and sebright I’ve been wanting forever. I didn’t bother asking them to sex it and took my chances. So she may be a mix, because my other silkie Elsa was my usual farm and she had a super poof, not like this one lol

Is the seabright definitely a pullet? This guy looks like a male to me. If they were both female, they'd both be laying by now.

Also, tsc silkies are hatchery quality. They are bigger and have the single comb, plus not as much poofiness as your typical silkie. First time I saw them I thought they were a mix too.

I'll be honest... I can't tell. I lean pullet though.
Is your sebright female for sure?
One way to find out is to paint the cloaca of one of them with food coloring. Won't hurt them, but it will color the egg as it comes out with a smear of whatever color you use. I don't suggest red, since red induces pecking. Only color one bottom, and you'll know who's laying what when.

Back
Top Bottom