Silkie Hen or Roo

MeyMus

Songster
Oct 21, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Hi all!

I have a silkie who is just about 6 months old... i was pretty sure it was a hen until i noticed the size of the wattles. Is it a hen? I hope i dont hear crowing soon...
20171031_183445.jpg
20171031_183433.jpg

Both genders of any breed can grow spurs. If you could post a photo of your silkie facing forward with crest held or pulled back, we could see full extent of the comb. You see wattles because your silkie is beardless. Bearded silkies don't have them.

I agree that a silkie roo would have crowed by now. But if you have other roosters, a younger bird will often remain silent. If it crowed the alpha roo would attack him.

check if there are any spurs behind his feet. Only males develop this so that they can fight. It should look like an extra talon, but a little higher than the actual foot.
Here. Do you see the sharp claw coming out of its back leg? This indicates that this is a rooster. If you can't locate this, it is a pullet.
around 3 weeks old. I would say that if your roo was 6 months old, I'm sure they have already grown.
Actually, both genders can have spurs, and occasionally pullets can grow spurs as well. Also, I do not know of any chick that starts growing spurs at three weeks. They may have tiny spur buds, but spurs only start growing at around six months. The only accurate way to tell gender is from the comb, wattles, and feathering. :)

Last edited:
Actually, both genders can have spurs, and occasionally pullets can grow spurs as well. Also, I do not know of any chick that starts growing spurs at three weeks. They may have tiny spur buds, but spurs only start growing at around six months. The only accurate way to tell gender is from the comb, wattles, and feathering.
I found spurs on my 2 year old bearded hen and got worried! Hahaha...

The crest looks like a hen... but my other hen (same age) doesnt have wattles which is why i thought this one might be a rooster...

Silkie_rooster_in_Aus.jpg
a

Here is a picture of a silkie rooster. Note the comb, wattle and tail feathers. However, remember, in show quality silkies will be super puff balls all the way around and you may not see the typical tail feathers of a rooster.

blue_silkie_bantam_rooster_1_.jpg

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom