SILKIE HEN'S HEAD/NECK DOING WIERD THINGS

Georgia Nana

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 13, 2011
Kathleen, Georgia
My Stepdaughter has a young Silkie hen (just started laying) who just started moving her head and neck from side to side and tucks it between her legs and walks backwards. She walks normally at times and is eating and drinking (enough? I don't know). When I was there today I trimmed her feathers around her eyes thinking that it might help, but by the time I left, I didn't see much, if any improvement. She is in a mixed flock with standards and other bantams, and there is a Dark Cornish who picks on the Silkies. Any ideas on what could be wrong? I could find no visible sign of injury.

Last edited:
My Stepdaughter has a young Silkie hen (just started laying) who just started moving her head and neck from side to side and tucks it between her legs and walks backwards. She walks normally at times and is eating and drinking (enough? I don't know). When I was there today I trimmed her feathers around her eyes thinking that it might help, but by the time I left, I didn't see much, if any improvement. She is in a mixed flock with standards and other bantams, and there is a Dark Cornish who picks on the Silkies. Any ideas on what could be wrong? I could find no visible sign of injury.

Follow the advice given regarding wry neck,also give her aspirin(baby aspirin 81mg or reg 325mg aspirin)dose is 25 mg per lb of body weight. Aspirin helps with pain and swelling in wry neck. Aspirin is safe for silkies,i have given it to mine. Crush and sprinkle over feed or place in water(i prefer giving aspirin in water).

I hope so too. Some cases take a long time for success, others are sooner. Keep us posted. There are many more links to wry neck or torticollis in chickens if you just Google it.

I read all the links that you so generously sent, and have learned an awesome amount! I hope that my stepdaughter's silkie pulls through okay. Have urged her to separate her from the rest of the flock, and to give her the vitamins. The broccoli idea is great! I have silkies, too, so broccoli will be a part of their treat diet from now on! I am also giving mine bo sunflower seeds instead of scratch feed. We are going to plant our fall garden soon, so turnips, kale, broccoli, etc. will be a wintertime part of their diet.
This forum and those of you who help us "newbies" a great!!
Thank you so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom