Silkie hens stopped laying! Can't figure out why!

jhuggs21

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
O-HI-O ♥
I have 17 silkies hens. They are all separated by color, (splash, paint, white, black, and buff) I was getting eggs out of every pen about every other day to every couple days. For the last 6 weeks I have got one egg out of the black pen and one out of the white pen. They eat a layena/cracked corn mixture and always have plenty of water. No birds have any sign of being ill and all eat and drink fine. What could be causing this? Any replies would be helpful! Thanks!

she is probably broody...Broody means that she wants to sit on eggs and hatch them...but if you dont have a rooster then the eggs wont hatch she will just sit on them until she gets tried of sitting on them or if you dont let her sit on any eggs she should snap out of the broodiness in a week or so.

Last edited:
They are all in with roosters. I have had them hatch eggs before but I have never had every hen not lay for 6 weeks, they dont sit in the nest boxes like they are broody. I'm just confused as to why it's been so long with no eggs?

Its happens to me right now.
I have 3 silkies hens that stopped laying.
I was wondering WHY they stopped lay.
They are not molting or broody either.

Also I found this!

Silkies do tend towards broodiness and make wonderful mothers despite being rather poor layers. They are calm, friendly, trusting and rather lively birds which are unable to fly so can be kept with very low fencing and they also do very little damage to the garden. They begin laying around Christmas when the hen will happily sit on a clutch of eggs and will still go broody even if her eggs are removed! Silkies are frequently used as foster mothers for other hen\'s eggs. They stop laying altogether during the summer months. They don\'t have waterproof feathers so they need to be kept in dry conditions but require little room so can be kept in smaller runs. They are rather susceptible to scaly leg but are robust little chickens and can withstand the cold very well. The black skinned and black boned silkie is considered a delicacy in China where they believe that the ground up bones have special healing properties. They have a lifespan of around 9 years and can be tamed and considered a real pet which makes them especially suitable for children.

This where I found..
http://www.omlet.us/breeds/chickens/silkie/

Hopefully its help!

Is your weather up and down, like mine? My Silkies were laying well when it was cold and stayed cold. Now, one day it'll be 35° then the next two will be 60. Ever since the weather started yo-yo-ing, I only get one egg a day, two if I'm lucky. Just a thought...
Nikki

Hmm.. My weather have been up and down too.
Probably that's affect the hens stop lay. and I talked to a silkies breeder in my state, she say Mites might could stop their laying.

Fluffy, my silkie, has stopped laying. It's probably 2 weeks since she's given me an egg. Otherwise healthy and mite free, she does all the normal chicken things with her run mates. 6 other hens are laying as well as can be expected. She's always spent more time on the nest than the others, but I wouldn't call her broody. I was thinking there might be a stealth nest somewhere, but kept penned for 2 days, there still isn't an egg. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom