Silkie in pain while laying?

AnconaMommy

Chirping
Aug 15, 2016
Loveland, Colorado
Hi friends! I have five hens who are about 5 months old. Only one has started laying, my Polish hen, Gertie. My question is: is she in pain when she lays? I ask because she hoots and hollers for about two to three hours, pacing in and out of the coop, until she finally lays her egg. Then she's 100% her normal chatty, friendly self. Two of her sisters often go in the coop with her, then stay fairly close if they leave her during this. The rooster stays close by as well.
I'm thinking chickens have been laying eggs forever...but is it painful for them? If Gertie is this loud when laying, I'm thinking my neigjbors may hate me when all five start laying!!

They usully make a noise whilst laying to show of to the other look I've just laid like a celebratory noise and is your polish small bevause I remember my first normal Dollie made very loud noises and she's a very quiet bird so was rather shocked on her first egg - they also don't like it when you intrude them whilst laying mine poof up their feathers and squawk so don't watch just leave and they'll be fine!!

Newly laying pullets can make quite a racket...actually older birds can too, but it's usually nothing like a group of new layers. It's not from pain, tho I have on occasion heard some rather sharp squeaks and squawks while the egg is actually emerging that I've interpreted as pain. But it's momentary, natural, and nothing to worry about unless it happens constantly.

Back
Top Bottom