silkie is twisting over backwards and upside down, udate Please help:(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MarlaKaye, Mar 6, 2009.

1. MarlaKaye

MarlaKaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    she has regressed and in worse shape than before. I wrote about her thismorning and [https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=141990][/url] is the link
    I'm thinking brain damage now. I recall mentioning to my husband that we will have to raise that roost as I saw her run into it the other day. They have grown so tall now. Oh my.
    Can't type much more, anxious to get to researching, and the tears are whelling up.
    My best to all of you,
    Marlakaye.
    Help if you can, Please

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    I used to have a Polish that had a similar problem. In his case, it was a bizarre genetic defect; I think it had something to do with the hollow bubble that forms the crest. But he improved with daily treatments of Hypericum (I have the dosage on my site linked in my sig poultry health > supportive therapy > green treats and homeopathic remedies). Keep her restained if she's hurting herself.

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, this happens often with crested breeds. Listen to others' responces and see if any will work. If you find she still struggles to survive, then I'm sorry, there isn't anything you can do but put her out of her misery. She'd only get worse with time.

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Find some information on Newcastle Disease and see if she sounds like this could be it.

5. MarlaKaye

MarlaKaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Courtney, I recall coming across your post on that in my research. I told DH Craig about it and he poo poo'd it because it is homeopathic.
    since he won't get me any and it could be the answer for her, I will need to call in a favor and find somone going to the city, who will get me some. I will show him your post though, he may change his mind.
    I must....gotta stop this worrying, silly me, it's just a precious little silkie chicken, not worth more than a few dollars.
    oh, and she has been eating pretty much non stop, though mostly side ways. but I suppose it is difficult for her and she must not be consuming well, because she is looking like half the bird her sister Sophie is now. Her bones seem to be sticking out more by the hour. I'm also thinking she needs a nap.
    UPdate. I started her on some vitamins.
    Thanks
    MarlaKaye

6. jandmeg07

jandmeg07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Cheboygan, MI
    I wish you the best of luck Marlakaye.

7. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Well that's silly. Homeopathic remedies often work better than modern medicine, and if she has the same problem as my Polish it is the only thing that will help her. It's cheap and it won't hurt her. It does sound very very similar to my bird's issue.

The problem with crested breeds is that they have a hollow bubble on their skull that forms the crest. Sometimes this bubble leaves a whole in the skull where the brains can spill into the bubble. I'm not sure but when this happens I think it can cause neurological issues like your silkie and my polish. I could be totally wrong though, it's just my theory.

It's not silly at all. Chickens are wonderful animals. *hugs*

8. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I have one of these silkies, and from my research it does seem to be related to their adorable little mutated heads. Mine had her first episode about 1 1/2 years ago - possibly from a rough rooster grabbing her head. I put her on supplements known to be good for the brain - Ginko, B complex, selenium (we live in a selenium deficient area of Ca.). Also 2.5mg prednisone for swelling. when she was at her worst, I'd have to help her eat. after about a week, she started gaining control over her head. Eventually she got right again. Seems like she relapses if traumatized. Needless to say, she has her own little area when outside - no competition, no roosters jumping her. She comes into our spare bathroom at night, out in the morning. She hasn't been on pred or extra supplements now for about 4 mos. She's the kind of silky whose feathers completely cover her eyes, so we clip and shave so she can see her food. Otherwise we can toss her treats and she is completely oblivious. It's not easy being a silky! Good luck!

9. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    When giving Selenium be sure to give in combination with vit E. Do a search for Alan Stanford recommendations. DLHUnicorn has his 'recipe' in her archives of her site. Very informative and I have had success with several who had possible brain injuries or limber neck.

10. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:I was going to mention the same thing! It could have wry neck. Vit E is supposed to be good for that. Alan's website is BrownEggBlueEgg. He knows what he is talking about. I had one that had a wry neck one time and didn't know what to do, so I had to cull her. So heartbreaking.......If I would have been aware of Alan's articles, I probably could have saved her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by