Silkie just hatched with red bottom??Help

Juliechickens

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Memphis, TN
Hi, I just had a black silkie hatch but he's got a little red bubble looking thing on his behind. It is a little bit of blood as he leaves on other eggs when he touches them. It's not a pertruding bubble just a round red circle of a spot. Is this normal? My frizzles didnt have this that I noticed. Is there anything I should do?
Its not enough to drip blood just a little bloody show.
Please let me know if this is normal and/or what to do....
Thanks, Julie

How's it doing? I had one with a reddish butt. Not much in terms of blood. It did ok. Wish I could help. I'm new at this too.
hu.gif

Hey, it's just part of it's umbilicus where it was attached to the egg/yolk. It SHOULD dry up shortly. I'd just leave it in the `bator a bit longer than you normally might and then once it dries up, take finger nail clippers or shap scissors and cut it back to the length of the chicks fuzz so it doesn't get in the way or cause others to peck at it.

Great myspace Cindy. You sound like a very busy person. I wouldn't worry to much about the little red bottom unless it does't seem to get any better in a couple of days. We are all teetering on insanity. Normal is a cycle on a washing machine.

Joe

Thanks Joe
smile.png
Yes, busy. It keeps me sane...er...no, actually, it keeps me insane. hehe That saying about idle hands is so not true for me...if I had more, I think I'd actually get some sleep.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom