Silkie Lovers, Show Off Your Fuzzy Chickens Here?!

Sure I would love to see!

Where I live people have pretty much achieved Silkie Cockerels the size of Brahmas (bigger than my Brahma pullets anyways). We have Large Fowl Silkies over here and they are huge compared to Bantams. Super pretty though!
Okay. Here's my project chicken.
0620191439.jpg
0620191442a.jpg

I'm attempting to create my own line of crele Orpington's. I named him Dino. His mix is: Buff Orpington/Barred Rock X Buff Orpington/Australorp.

So you're silkies stand 3ft tall?

Here he is next to a typical bantam.
1128181512a.jpg
1128181512.jpg
He was younger, and fluffier when I took this picture. Reason why he's not so fluffy is, because he's still regrowing in feathers he lost from getting beaten up by another silkie rooster, who turned sour out of nowhere. The two got along perfectly fine up until one day. They grew up together.

My big silkie roo just kept growing, but I think he finished now.

I'd say the biggest Large Fowl Silkie I saw was just over 2ft tall. It's hard to know for sure the measurements since he was crammed in a show cage and couldn't stand fully tall. To tall though and they wouldn't be accepted for showing, there is a range on what's accepted I believe.

My own Silkies are Bantams, I don't have space to keep Large Fowl ones to breed. I do have Brahmas though, but only hens.

Your experiment Chicken is cute, I like the yellow/gold colour down his neck!

I'd say the biggest Large Fowl Silkie I saw was just over 2ft tall. It's hard to know for sure the measurements since he was crammed in a show cage and couldn't stand fully tall. To tall though and they wouldn't be accepted for showing, there is a range on what's accepted I believe.

My own Silkies are Bantams, I don't have space to keep Large Fowl ones to breed. I do have Brahmas though, but only hens.

Your experiment Chicken is cute, I like the yellow/gold colour down his neck!
Okay, & thank you.
The last time I measured my big silkie roo, he stood 16 and a half inches tall. I'll have to measure him again now that he's full grown.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom