Silkie (mix?) cockerel???

gladahmae

Songster
7 Years
May 17, 2012
Benzie, MI
I got some silkie chicks early this summer and I kept this one thinking it was a pullet but now I'm not so sure. It does have a straight comb, so maybe mix way back somewhere. If it's a boy it needs to go because I don't have enough girls for 3 boys.

Could you post a picture of its front, so that I can see its comb? It doesn't look completely like a rooster from this photo, but I need to see the comb. For now, my guess is pullet.

yep! once I manage to get out there to take care of everyone I'll try to get a picture with the camera and not the phone. It's bigger than the other pullets, but smaller than the cockerels. it doesn't have the really obvious 'streamers' that the cockerels have, but it seems like they are there. I don't know. very confusing all in all.

Don't judge them by the streamers until their crests are in... When they grow in and the crest feathers are in different stages of growth, it gives the illusion of streamers.

Really really? YAAAAAY! I was all set to put it up on CL for free today and everything! I've been hearing a new cockerel crow and thought it was coming from that area, but maybe it's my sex-linked boy in the pen next to it. YIPPEE! I wasn't sold that they were streamers or not, but as I said, it's kind of in between the one that I *know* is a boy and one I *know* is a girl for feathering and size so I was completely perplexed. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom