Silkie not eating, wandering aimlessly after environment change.

I would keep doing what you are doing. I would add in some sort of energy source like sugar water or electrolyte to keep her going. Low blood sugar from not eating will cause sluggish behaviors. If it's a brain trauma it will take a long time to heal, and may never heal. You cannot undo damage from that or heat stroke. You can only continue to give supportive care.

Ok, I'm not having a huge problem getting the food in her. She seems hungry and thankful for the food when I feed her. I just put some in her mouth and she swallows it if she is not willingly drinking it from the syringe. Is this ok to do?

If it's working for you and her, it sounds like a very good way to do it!

And I'm sure it's safer and less stressful than putting a tube down into her crop to feed her (which may sometimes be needed for some chickens, but I'm glad yours doesn't seem to need it!)

Ok, I'm not having a huge problem getting the food in her. She seems hungry and thankful for the food when I feed her. I just put some in her mouth and she swallows it if she is not willingly drinking it from the syringe. Is this ok to do?

Was there any concern from the pictures? She is currently standing with her little head tucked under her wing to sleep. I want this sweet little girl to be ok.
If she's getting enough, then I don't see a problem with hand feeding her.

Was there any concern from the pictures? She is currently standing with her little head tucked under her wing to sleep. I want this sweet little girl to be ok.
Yes, I would definitely trim back all the feathers surrounding her eyes and the entire front too.
A friend of mine once lost a Silkie that was starving slowly to death because the poor thing cold not see due to overgrown crest impeding clear vision.

I use a dog nail trimmer to trim beaks. I would just nip off the tip. Don't cut too short as it will bleed if you do. Than apply a blood stop product, or use something like flour or corn starch.

Generally you do the finger poking and waving in front of the eye to see if she reacts or not.

Back
Top Bottom