Silkie not eating, wandering aimlessly after environment change.

Pics
If she sustained a brain injury it could take weeks for her to improve, or she could never improve. She needs more time. I understand your frustration though. I dealt with a brain injured silkie once, and will never own silkies again because of the risk. All you can do is keep trying.

I know😥. I keep telling myself that. I want to give her the time she needs. She has improved so that's a good sign. Do you have an opinion on keeping her inside or letting her go out with the others? I read somewhere that if it's brain injury she should be in a cool and dark spot.

I left mine with the flock. I felt removing her would cause too much stress.

After the initial pecking on mine, which was done by her fellow silkie sisters when they were young, they became more accepting of her, which was amazing to see. She was unfortunately peck once more in her life by a large breed hen that got into the bantam coop. That time really did her in and she slowly faded away over the course of a year.

The first time it took a good month before I felt she was close to being how she was before, but she never was quite right.

I did separate her daily and fed her a moistened ration. I had to check daily that she was eating, and made sure she went in and out. Mine only survived 3 years.

It was a lot of time on my part, but I did what I had to do. Now that I'm further in my chicken keeping career I might of culled her instead, but it's hard to say. She was one of my favorite birds, and is one I will never forget.

I believe maybe she is blind or at the least seeing impaired. She seems healthy and happy. She still won't eat herself. But she's out picking around at the ground a little. She can't seem to keep up with the others. This is another reason I think she is blind. She gets herself to a spot in the yard and then Just looks around helplessly like she doesn't know where to go. If I make fast motions in front of her, there is no blinking. She seems hyper focused on noises. listening and then tries to go towards the sound.

She gobbles up her mash I give her, but it's a messy process. She kind of instinctually scratches. If I don't hold her and keep her from moving around she would never get eat her mash. She would be too busy looking for it even if shes right on top of it. Any other tricks for me to help determine if she's blind?

I believe her beak has also grown too long now with the limited pecking she is doing. Is it time to trim it? And can you help walk me through how to do it? I'm watching her and think that it might be hindering her eating.

I'm taking care of her, but she is an easy target for predators. She's gotten herself stuck in the open a few times. She promptly gets brought in by me. She may need to become a house chicken of sorts.

Attachments

• IMG_20200824_180706.jpg
    IMG_20200824_180706.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom