Silkie not eating, wandering aimlessly after environment change.

Ok. Thank you! I'm giving her scrabbled egg mash right now. Is it possible that she doesn't know how to eat anymore. She is pecking at the ground. She got a good taste of it from my fingers and I swear she has no idea how to find and eat it. I think she wants to eat independently. She is being very resistant to any syringe water.

Ok. Thank you! I'm giving her scrabbled egg mash right now. Is it possible that she doesn't know how to eat anymore. She is pecking at the ground. She got a good taste of it from my fingers and I swear she has no idea how to find and eat it. I think she wants to eat independently. She is being very resistant to any syringe water.
Sorry, that probably sounds really dumb. But It just looks like shes searching for the food and is instead just walking all over it.
No, that doesn't sound dumb, it may actually be a clue there - sounds like she's not seeing well or may have a neurological issue.
If feathers are covering her eyes, try trimming those.
Do you have a bright colored small bowl? Put some wet mash and the egg in it, but raise it off the floor to where it's about breast high.
Same with the water dish.

I'm wondering if she can't see, if she may have suffered trauma (vaulted skull and all) or it may be neurological (the vitamins you are giving may help). Marek's would be another thing to consider, but what you are doing right now is the only thing I know of to do since there's no real 'treatment' for that.

Can you get some photos of her and her poop?

Ok I got some pictures. I'm attaching them.

She is wandering around clucking like she's clueless. Will not eat. I made her mash with eggs in a green bowl and put it up to her face. Still no interest. I actually let the tip of her beak be in it and she was not interested. So I'm feeding her syringe nutrient water and also using that water to get a liquid mix of the mash and she's pretty willing to take this all from the syringe. I agree, I would think something's neurologically wrong watching her. And maybe she can't see?

I'm still worried about a heat stroke. Especially if she wasn't consuming anything. It was over 100 when she came back to me.

So, should I isolating her? I considered it, but felt in the heat situation and for emotional health I should just keep her with the others (7other silkies).they are all gentle and they are right with me in our family room so I am watching them almost constantly. I also considered that what's done is done, they are my only chickens. They have been exposed.

She just sort of stays by me also. She seems to appreciate when I call her near me. And just paces around.

Attachments

• IMG_20200815_131627.jpg
    IMG_20200815_131627.jpg
    679.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200815_130039.jpg
    IMG_20200815_130039.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200815_123117.jpg
    IMG_20200815_123117.jpg
    617.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200815_123119.jpg
    IMG_20200815_123119.jpg
    604.6 KB · Views: 21
I would keep doing what you are doing. I would add in some sort of energy source like sugar water or electrolyte to keep her going. Low blood sugar from not eating will cause sluggish behaviors. If it's a brain trauma it will take a long time to heal, and may never heal. You cannot undo damage from that or heat stroke. You can only continue to give supportive care.

I would add in some sort of energy source like sugar water or electrolyte to keep her going. Low blood sugar from not eating will cause sluggish behaviors.

I would think the chicken food is an even better source of energy, and she's already getting some of that by syringe:

So I'm feeding her syringe nutrient water and also using that water to get a liquid mix of the mash and she's pretty willing to take this all from the syringe.

Back
Top Bottom