Silkie not growing...or is it?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenni22776rn, Jul 4, 2011.

1. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    I am new to the silkie breed..I have 2 silkies that are approx 12 weeks old. One is a bearded partidge..he or I think he..is growing good..looks like a bowling ball with a head. My little black one is a non bearded silkie. She is very small...I have had her for a few weeks now and she does not seem to be growing. Her top knot feathers are growing..we even named her hoover because she eats alot..but will she ever grow? Or do silkies grow slower then some? She seems healthy, eats is active and is vocal. I just worry that she is as big as she is gonna get..or is something wrong with her?
    [​IMG]
    This is her about 2 weeks ago..she has not gotten much bigger..or might it be that I am used to the other larger breeds that grow and grow?

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    There are instances where chicks don't grow to be much bigger than a regular 5 week old. I believe it was attributed to some kind of chicken dwarfism. Usually the chicks have less feathers than most, and don't feather out properly. Often they can be lethargic and just generally unthrifty.

However, your Silkie looks very healthy! I don't see any obvious feathering problems--she's getting quite an impressive topknot. The fact that she's eating a lot is a good sign. If you're very worried about her, you can try giving her a vitamin supplement, just to cover your bases. Lice and mites can seriously hinder growth, too.

Good luck with her, keep us posted! [​IMG]

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I have 2 silkies that I believe to be pullets. I am assuming they are hatchmates and one is almost twice as big as the other. I can't figure it out either. They both eat and drink well, are energetic, and well feathered. [​IMG]

4. MD2009

MD2009 New Egg

Jul 4, 2011
    I have barred rocks and same thing at 4 weeks 3 out of 9 are not growing at all been the same size since week 1. They eat well. I have been giving them extra goodies like worms and strawberries. But still not growing feathers well and almost look sick like. 1 has very little wings, bald shoulders and the beek dont look well either. I read some where that it could be because of not rotation the egg properly during incubation is that true? This is my first time raising chickens of any kind I have had 4 die on me but everyone says its normal.

5. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I have 2 sisters. One is a lavendar splash and the other is blue. The splash, Q-Tip, is about 2x bigger than her blue sister, Velvet. Velvet eats and drinks and runs around like crazy but looks like she is about 4 weeks old and is really about 12 weeks. She was the runt of the bunch tho. I specifically picked her. I'll take a pic tomorrow and show u the size different in mine. I don't think u should worry unless there r other things going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by