Silkie or Another Type of Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ramsburgchicken, Jan 15, 2016.

1. ramsburgchicken

ramsburgchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2016
    Here is one of my favorite Roos. His name is "Chicken Salad". (and no, we don't eat our chickens!) I was told he was a silkie, but after looking at pictures online of other fancy roosters, I'm not seeing any silkie roosters that look like him. [​IMG] I noticed that the Standard Partridge Cochins kinda look similar? I'd love to get some opinions on what y'all think. Also, since my hens are all silkies (or so I think.. I'm starting to have doubts about some of them now that I've seen other pictures of silkies..) What are the odds that I could get another rooster like this one from a silkie hen?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] He is a crossbred very likely carrying a % of silky blood as indicated by the dark color of his comb. Bred to purebred silky hens, he might produce some silkied chicks. He is a very attractive rooster.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think he has some silkie in him ( maybe hatchery stock )and also cochin since his feet are very heavily feathered. Don't know where that comb came from? He's is beautiful .I think every breeding is a throw of the dice, so maybe not likely to get another like him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by