SILKIE PEOPLE!! Huge spurs...can i trim them?...

He has leg mites really bad. I would buy some Sulfur Ointment and use it. Smiths Gamebird and Poultry Supply carries it. I had a couple of birds shipped to me and when I got them they had leg mites. I used the Sulfur Ointment and I haven't had to use it again. It has been over a year.

He is at least a couple of years old.

I despured a large fowl polish by taking pliers and twisting. They bled a bit, but I was able to take a soldering tool and cauterize so that it didn't bleed. The only problem with that is that he would nick them on rocks, etc. and they would start to bleed again. I don't recommend this. I would trim a bit at a time like others have suggested, I did anything at all. If it doesn't cause him any trouble I wouldn't do anything to them.

Make it a great day!
http://www.picturetrail.com/homepage/crestedhorizon

easiest way i have found and quickest is using a hot potato, i got a roo shipped to me last year with monster spurs one side worse the then other, i put the potato in the microwave for a minute maybe to heat it up, i had to grab it with a oven mit then stabbed the potato onto the spur held it for a few seconds then took it off and then gave the spur a little twist and alot of it came off not all but more then half of it.

Good luck!

HOLY CRAP !! NICE BIRD !! I would research this one. My silkies NEVER get spurs like this. I have a few Goldens, and the cocks get pretty darn mean.
Do not worry about the comb, this is pretty normal for a big male like you have. I will however copy your picture to my computer and send it off, WAY COOL, A stud silkie. Who says they are wimpy little bird hey ? I do agree with the dremel tool and I can not tell if he does in fact have leg miites, but treatment is no invasive and I would do so before I introduce him to the rest of the flock.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! I would use dog clippers too.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom