Silkie Problems ?

Daidohead

Songster
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
Red Bluff, Ca
I am going to be looking for a pair of silkies for my wife. Are there any problems perticular to Silkies that I need to watch for as I am looking at birds ? Thank you

I don't think so.

You might need to trim their head feathers so they can see, though.
tongue.png

Yes, they do have sight restrictions. The larger their crests, the more trouble they have watching for predators or other birds. Although, what others may say, I find that the higher quality ones tend to be pretty fragile and, at times, more prone to illness. Just watch out for any troubling signs.

Also, a warning from an owner who had this same mistake made; crested fowl do much better when kept separate from non-cresteds. It wasn't until a few months ago that we ran into trouble, and let me tell you, bullying is very hard to stop once it begins. Best keep a separate pen for them or else take a risk.

Thank you both for the advice. They will have their own coop with a reserved spot in the yard. I have no doubt that Charlotte will pamper these birds beyond belief. She actually painted the toenails on one of my EE's,
roll.png

I think fragility has been associated more with specific lines than as an overall fragility of the better birds. I have an 8 year old hen who is very nice; offspring of my first two silkies (that I bought from Alan). I lost both parents last year
sad.png
They were my babies, hatched in July 2001. I have several others who are nearly as old.

Trim the feathers that block vision (use baby nail scissors). I find that muff feathers are more often the culprit than crest feathers.

If she has any interest in showing, make sure to get a bird who meets that standard as closely as possible. I've never had non-silkies pick on my birds, but I have noticed that birds that are raised and only ever spend time with their same breed and variety tend to be rather discriminatory towards other varieties and probably breeds. Dare I say they are racist. While birds that are raised with a variety of varieties seem to have less issues integrating. I have quite a mix of birds, and the only time they are separated by breed and variety is when they are in breeding pens. I raise babies all mixed together, and they usually have a hen or rooster to parent them.

Back
Top Bottom