Silkie question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mammabuckbuck, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Mammabuckbuck

Mammabuckbuck In the Brooder

Feb 1, 2011
    Cache bay
    I just bought 4 silkie chicks...one of the 4 has yellow legs and 4 toes....the lady told me it might be a different breed of silkie...is she pulling my legg.... [​IMG]

2. kingdr85

kingdr85 Songster

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    Sorry Mammabuck but maybe the seller is slightly pulling your legs - It could be a pure silkie but somewhere down the line the parents/grandparents/etc could have him mixed. Does it look like the others?

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    Probably a mix could be a cochin, do you have any pics ?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I vote silkie mix if it looks like a silkie otherwise. Silkies should have black feet and 5 toes. It will still be a good pet! [​IMG]

It might not be the seller's fault- sometimes the 4 toes will be present in a silkie breeding program. I don't know about the leg color though. [​IMG]

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I do not think the seller is pulling your leg; it is far more likely that she is uninformed, and has birds that originated from a hatchery (either they or their parents). THere are many breeds with yellow legs, so I would not automatically assume cochin. Look at the wing feathers--are they coming in silkied or not? If not, then you have at best a silkie cross. However, it might well be another breed entirely. Do you have photos?

6. Mammabuckbuck

Feb 1, 2011
    Cache bay
    The pics are not very clear my batteries are almost dead....this is the one she says is a silkie

[​IMG]

these are the ones with 5 toes and black feet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these are the breeds she had on site silkies, bantys, silkie x, silkie x polish for sale. I am assuming on got one of the others

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Can you post a photo of the chick standing on its own? Can't tell much about it except foot and leg colour.

8. Mammabuckbuck

Feb 1, 2011
    Cache bay
    [​IMG]

Found batteries...okay this is the little fluff standing on his own....

9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    My guess is a silkie cross--looks to have a single comb.

10. Mammabuckbuck

Feb 1, 2011
    Cache bay
    Oh my little girl will be disappointed...she spent her allowance to buy 4 pure bred silkies to raise as show chickens/pets/breeding stock....now she is doubting the pedigree of all her chicks.....I contacted the lady and she assured me that they are pure...but she is also selling silkie x and won't exchange for a different chick

Thanks for the help everyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: