Silkie question

Mammabuckbuck

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 1, 2011
Cache bay
I just bought 4 silkie chicks...one of the 4 has yellow legs and 4 toes....the lady told me it might be a different breed of silkie...is she pulling my legg....
idunno.gif

kingdr85

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Madison-Columbus WI
Sorry Mammabuck but maybe the seller is slightly pulling your legs - It could be a pure silkie but somewhere down the line the parents/grandparents/etc could have him mixed. Does it look like the others?

ChickensAreSweet

Heavenly Grains for Hens
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Pacific NW- where the Douglas Firs grow
I vote silkie mix if it looks like a silkie otherwise. Silkies should have black feet and 5 toes. It will still be a good pet!
love.gif

It might not be the seller's fault- sometimes the 4 toes will be present in a silkie breeding program. I don't know about the leg color though.
hu.gif

Sonoran Silkies

Flock Mistress
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Tempe, Arizona
I do not think the seller is pulling your leg; it is far more likely that she is uninformed, and has birds that originated from a hatchery (either they or their parents). THere are many breeds with yellow legs, so I would not automatically assume cochin. Look at the wing feathers--are they coming in silkied or not? If not, then you have at best a silkie cross. However, it might well be another breed entirely. Do you have photos?

Mammabuckbuck

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 1, 2011
Cache bay
The pics are not very clear my batteries are almost dead....this is the one she says is a silkie

78673_dsc03577.jpg

these are the ones with 5 toes and black feet

78673_44165ha_20.jpeg

78673_6111lhh_20.jpeg

these are the breeds she had on site silkies, bantys, silkie x, silkie x polish for sale. I am assuming on got one of the others

Last edited:

Mammabuckbuck

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 1, 2011
Cache bay
Oh my little girl will be disappointed...she spent her allowance to buy 4 pure bred silkies to raise as show chickens/pets/breeding stock....now she is doubting the pedigree of all her chicks.....I contacted the lady and she assured me that they are pure...but she is also selling silkie x and won't exchange for a different chick

Thanks for the help everyone

Top Bottom