Silkie Questions - Beard or not to Beard?

Quote:
The best Nonbeardeds by far IMO can be found at http://goldeneggfarm.com/
bred by Master Breeder Kate Morreale. They win alot over the beardeds. Her NB have so much crest that you have to look twice to see that they are indeed NB. The NB silkies tend to be more active but just as sweet as the Beardeds.

Quote:
Look up Kate Morreale of Golden Egg Farm she has some very nice non-bearded silkies.

www.goldeneggfarm.com

I was about to post that! Very nice non-bearded silkies!!!

You guys beat me to it! I'll have to tell Kate about this, will be seeing her tomorrow! LOL

I remember last spring at Sussex I saw a decent amount of NB Whites...awesome type and huge crests...never saw NBs like them...am I to assume those were the birds that belonged to Kate Morreale? Because I can't imagine too many breeders owning birds like those...and they were amazing.

Non-bearded are judged separately until it is time for best of breed.

I sold a nice NB pair this past weekend in black. I hope to see them at shows in the future. I was so tempted to keep them, but pen space.....

I am not sure why but am drawn more to the non bearded - i am not (at this point:) looking ot get into showing) more for "pets" and the broodiness factor - and of course i think coming out ot those lil puff balls would be great. Thanks for all the input!

Quote:
One reason that the beardeds usually place above the non beardeds is that there are far more quality bearded silkies that non-bearded ones; at least in the US. There ARE excellent quality non-bearded silkies here, just not nearly as many. They tend to not be as popular, so fewer breeders are working on them.

Quote:
I thought that Bearded were judged separately than Non-Bearded? Are you talking over-all?

There are 14 recognized varieties of silkies; 7 bearded, 7 non-bearded. Within a variety, only birds of that variety are judged against each other. However, the top two birds of each variety are compared together for breed placing, with one bird taking Best and another taking Reserve. Those two who place can be the same (the reason the RV birds are also in the comparison) or different varieties. Anyways, if a non-bearded is judges Best or Reserve of Breed, and there were bearded silkies present, the non-bearded birds would have placed above them.

Back
Top Bottom