Silkie reaching point of lay?

kurby22

Crossing the Road
Apr 12, 2021
Sacramento Area, California
Okay, I am new to chickens and don’t know exactly what chicken behavior is normal and what is concerning yet. I have a Silkie that is about about 6.5-7 months old and so I know they are getting close to egg laying age. The one I’m concerned about is out in the run and spending a lot of time just laying around. She seems okay otherwise—eating, drinking, occasionally gets up and forages, but then lays down again. :-( it is very very unlike her to lay around when it’s run time. Is something wrong? Or is she just getting close to laying and preparing for that? She’s my favorite little girl and it makes me worry to see her laying around a lot. The rooster has been pestering her a bunch this week too, so it makes me wonder? Today he’s been standing over her like he’s protecting her :-(

Attachments

• E3012B16-313A-47DE-8ED5-002CE1609C34.jpeg
    E3012B16-313A-47DE-8ED5-002CE1609C34.jpeg
    563.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 242489F6-9436-4B74-9E79-E1DB66F09CBC.jpeg
    242489F6-9436-4B74-9E79-E1DB66F09CBC.jpeg
    595.4 KB · Views: 12
  • E13BF76D-975E-4948-A4C2-863F18C874CD.jpeg
    E13BF76D-975E-4948-A4C2-863F18C874CD.jpeg
    633.5 KB · Views: 13
I do not think this is normal behavior. She may be sick. None of my silkies act this way when they have been POL.
Have you examined her to see if she has an egg on the way out, that may be is stuck?
You may want to bring her inside so you can monitor her food and fluid intake.
Not sure what to make of it. You may want to post this under "emergencies".
@Eggcessive
@casportpony
Any ideas?

I do not think this is normal behavior. She may be sick. None of my silkies act this way when they have been POL.
Have you examined her to see if she has an egg on the way out, that may be is stuck?
You may want to bring her inside so you can monitor her food and fluid intake.
Not sure what to make of it. You may want to post this under "emergencies".
@Eggcessive
@casportpony
Any ideas?
Thanks, I just might! She just seems sort of out of sorts. She doesn't show any signs of stress though! No panting, no pacing, nothing...just wants to sit. She did jump up to eat treats and drink water, so I saw that as a good sign.

Thanks, I just might! She just seems sort of out of sorts. She doesn't show any signs of stress though! No panting, no pacing, nothing...just wants to sit. She did jump up to eat treats and drink water, so I saw that as a good sign.
Yes this is a good sign, but chickens are prey animals so they do not really show when they are ill. Any change in normal behavior is something to be alerted to.Keep a very close eye on her. 🙂

You might want to give her a good dose of calcium. You can crush a Tums tablet and put it in some scrambled eggs or something that you know she would like.
Another reason to bring her in for observation is to monitor her poops as well.

Hmmm it doesn't exactly sound like what I am used to seeing in silkies about to lay. There is a slight possibility she is going broody though. While not common for them to go broody before they've even started to lay I have heard of it happening. The spot she's laying in your photos doesn't really look like one I'd expect a broody to choose but sometimes they pick odd places. Does she puff up/seem defensive at all when you try to move her from where she is laying?

When my young girls get close to laying they often get more agitated and actually have an increase in activity (though not always). They'll often search for a place to lay and make a bit of a ruckus. This can go on for several days before they lay their first egg.

You may be able to see if her body is getting close to laying by feeling her pin bones/pelvic bones. In pullets about to lay they will begin to spread further apart. They are located right below (or sometimes to either side) of the vent and are easy to feel as they are quite pointy. If she is close to laying you should be able to fit a couple fingers width between them. If she isn't very close yet you likely won't be able to fit much more than one fingers width between them.

Her behavior sounds like that of a bird who may not be feeling well to me. I'd check to make sure their isn't an egg stuck first of all.

If I can't find an obvious cause for what is wrong when I have a silkie that seems off (less active) I'll often treat for coccidia. It's present in pretty much all soil and sometimes their systems can get overloaded. A lot of the time when I do they feel much better in a few days. I use corrid to treat it (amprolium). If you treat with corrid you'll want to make sure not to give any extra vitamins during treatment as it can make the treatment ineffective. After the treatment is complete giving extra vitamins is a good thing to do, especially in silkies who at times can be more prone to vitamin deficiencies.

Good luck with your girl! I'm sorry I wasn't more help, hopefully someone else may have some other ideas.

Yes this is a good sign, but chickens are prey animals so they do not really show when they are ill. Any change in normal behavior is something to be alerted to.Keep a very close eye on her. 🙂
Yes, exactly! I will definitely keep a close eye. She is the one my daughter wants to show in 4-H...ugh, so of course she acts ill all of the sudden. She's the sweetest little girl. :(

She’s definitely not puffed up nor does she seem to be showing any signs of not feeling well. I brought her in and she’s quite fascinated by the living room 😁

Attachments

• E7292A5E-5662-4135-8C4A-F40DB0310A59.jpeg
    E7292A5E-5662-4135-8C4A-F40DB0310A59.jpeg
    569.5 KB · Views: 13
  • D9AF06CF-4E24-45F5-9838-7610EEC18AF4.jpeg
    D9AF06CF-4E24-45F5-9838-7610EEC18AF4.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 13
I would check her crop to make sure there is food in it and make sure that she is taking fluids and food today. Offer some favorites. Mine like scrambled egg, tuna, and wet chicken feed. Then feel of her crop in early morning, before she has taken anything, and make sure the crop has emptied overnight. Look her over for lice and mites under her belly. Also feel inside her vent for a stuck egg as @LynnaePB suggested. Make sure that she is walking properly. Let us know how she gets along.

Back
Top Bottom