Silkie Roo Dilemma

SunnyFLChick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Space Coast, FL
Good Morning BYC! We rolled the dice and got 4 silkie chicks this year...and now it is looking like only 1 is a pullet. It is still early - they could surprise me. I did a separate post and had some input from the community about them.

So, the question is....how many pullets per roo is recommended with silkies? I know 3 to 1 is not a good ratio for any breed but silkies are little more chill in general. I hate to start over with chicks (again) only to end up with even more roos! And silkie pullets are impossible to get a hold of in my area, unless you pay for DNA testing of course. I do have a separate coop with orpintons (all hens) so I could move some of the boys over there if needed. And hubby is not crazy about multiple roos competing for the morning wake up!

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. TIA

I am commenting to see the responses. I have never had silkies and I don't know anything about them. For other chickens, I would say heck no, get rid of all but 1 roo - so I am super curious to see how silkies differ!
:pop

I would get rid of all except one. I have silkies in a pair and then hen isn't over mated and she isn't stressed. Some silkies aren't as chill as you'd expect.
Boy were you right! TODAY the partridge started fighting with the white and mounting the buff. It was like someone turned on a light switch....

Back
Top Bottom