Silkie roo Favus?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by VillaRosaAcres, May 26, 2016.

1. VillaRosaAcres

VillaRosaAcres Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2015
    Southeast Iowa
    I'm fairly certain a roo I recently acquired has Favus. I've researched this and tried athletes foot anti fungal as well as coconut oil. However I'm not noticing any improvements with the fungus. Any suggestions of successful treatments? Thank you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. VillaRosaAcres

Oct 29, 2015
    Southeast Iowa
    [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Type 'favus treatments' in the search bar at the top of the page, and do an on site search. Several threads on treatment will appear.

4. VillaRosaAcres

Oct 29, 2015
    Southeast Iowa
    I have, actually, and I treated him based on these recommendations. However, I haven't noticed any improvement in his condition. He has continued getting more white spots on his comb despite the anti fungal cream. Im debating on trying the aersol spray version, in hopes of results.
    I've read favus is essentially poultry ringworm, would a veterinary prescription for ringworm/mange work better?

5. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Never hurts to try

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You have been using an ointment containing miconidazole ?

7. VillaRosaAcres

Oct 29, 2015
    Southeast Iowa
    Yes, however it was a tube we had used previously so it very well could be expired. I'm hoping that is the case as we haven't had any luck with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by