Silkie Roos or pullets???

snpurser

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013

Can anyone help? They are 15 weeks! I'm a newbie chicken owner this year. Have five young girls that I adore. 1 Rhode Island Red, 2 Easter eggers, 1 australorp, 1 Orpington and them these 2... I want girls of course, but I think they are Roos! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:
I'm not a Silkie expert, and Silkies are VERY difficult to sex. However, my guess is that the black one is a rooster, and the other one is a pullet. I think that the black one is a male because it stands tall and has a large red comb and stringy crest feathers. I'm not sure on the gender of the other bird, but "it" doesn't have quite as tall a stance as the black, and her wattles/comb are smaller. Post some more photos in a few weeks, and we'll give you another opinion.

Going off what I have learned, my guess would be both roosters. :( The black one for sure.
The partridge looks to have streamers in the crest and at that age, the comb is pretty big, and s/he stands pretty tall.
I wouldn't write the partridge off yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion...

Like the person above me said, post some more pics in a couple weeks. They sure can surprise you.
I thought one of my roos was a pullet and my pullet a roo. So. They can be so confusing.
Some are easier than others- another one of my roos was real obvious right away.

The black one is definitely a cockerel, and I think the partridge one is, too. But post new photos in a few weeks; Silkies are difficult to sex until they get older.

Back
Top Bottom