Silkie Rooster acts drunk/ dizzy

auee

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2023
Hi, I need help with my rooster šŸ˜­ he walks like heā€™s drunk or dizzy at first I thought he was injured but I checked if there are any wounds and found none.

Other symptoms are:
- poop is clear (water and bits of solid poop)
- felt that he is warmer than the hens (Iā€™m not sure but I think he has a fever)
- he lost some weight
- he eats and drinks and would still pick a fight with our Brahma rooster (in another pen) but he is not like his normal self like he is not crowing and just stays in one corner
- the hens doesnā€™t look like theyā€™re sick

What I have done so far:
- I put dextrose powder in his water
- gave him vitamins too
AF6ED2A4-9A07-4FD4-8DB1-F63DCC325351.jpeg

He may be suffering from a neurological issue or could have experienced some trauma while fighting with the other rooster.

I'd focus on vitamin therapy. Give him 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with some egg which will help with the uptake of E.

See that he's drinking and eating well, check to make sure his crop is emptying overnight, look at his feet/legs (bottom of feet too) for any signs of abrasions/scabs/bumblefoot and look through feathers around the vent/top of head, under wings, etc. to make sure lice or mites are not part of the problem.

Thank you šŸ˜ after a month of treatment heā€™s now able to run and heā€™s back to his old self. (We can no longer catch him when itā€™s pill time šŸ˜‚)

He still stumbles but he is much better than when I posted this.

What I gave him:
- gave him vitamin E 400IU once a day
- B-complex tablets (the ones that we have here is 100mcg, I am giving him half in the morning then the other half in the afternoon)

Should I continue with the B complex until he stops stumbling? Like is there any overdose with it?
He may be suffering from a neurological issue or could have experienced some trauma while fighting with the other rooster.

I'd focus on vitamin therapy. Give him 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with some egg which will help with the uptake of E.

See that he's drinking and eating well, check to make sure his crop is emptying overnight, look at his feet/legs (bottom of feet too) for any signs of abrasions/scabs/bumblefoot and look through feathers around the vent/top of head, under wings, etc. to make sure lice or mites are not part of the problem.

I'm glad he's doing better!

You can continue with the B-Complex if you wish. B Vitamins are water soluble so any excess is excreted in the urine, so there's usually not a worry about buildup.

Back
Top Bottom