Silkie Rooster, mean or learning to mate?

May 20, 2021
I have silkies among other chicken breeds. This is my first experience with a keeping a Silkie rooster. My silkies he’s with are about four months old, he is around 4.5 months. He’s started grabbing a particular hen by the neck, which I know can be a part of mating, however, he’s grabbing her when he’s facing her and holding on while she pulls away, he holds on and follows her, with no attempts at mounting that I’ve seen. I managed to grab a quick photo to ask on here, before breaking them up. Is this figuring out mating or is he just being a jerk, and needs to go? Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 183D09D3-9F8A-4997-9AF8-11415617CB11.png
    183D09D3-9F8A-4997-9AF8-11415617CB11.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 121
I have silkies among other chicken breeds. This is my first experience with a keeping a Silkie rooster. My silkies he’s with are about four months old, he is around 4.5 months. He’s started grabbing a particular hen by the neck, which I know can be a part of mating, however, he’s grabbing her when he’s facing her and holding on while she pulls away, he holds on and follows her, with no attempts at mounting that I’ve seen. I managed to grab a quick photo to ask on here, before breaking them up. Is this figuring out mating or is he just being a jerk, and needs to go? Any help would be appreciated!
Yeah, he feels the urge and just hasn't yet learned what to do or how to do it. Holding the hens/pullets by the neck feathers is step 1.

Our silkie cockerel did the same thing to our pullets, but they (by that point) were already integrated into the main flock with the adults. He completely avoided the adults but continued to mount/try to mount the bantams and standard pullet. We did end up culling him though because he attacked my son and then me. He tried to flog my son and he (son) ran away and then while the silkie was chasing him, he came around the corner and saw me. He immediately changed course and came running up to me. I stepped toward him to get him to back down but he kept coming. I kicked him back but he kept coming and tried to flog me 3 separate times. The last time he looked a bit dazed and finally walked away. That was the end of him. Hopefully yours will learn some manners because he did do damage to my legs and definitely could have hurt my son.

Last edited:
Our silkie cockerel did the same thing to our pullets, but they (by that point) were already integrated into the main flock with the adults. He completely avoided the adults but continued to mount/try to mount the bantams and standard pullet. We did end up culling him though because he attacked my son and then me. He tried to flog my son and he (son) ran away and then while the silkie was chasing him, he came around the corner and saw me. He immediately changed course and came running up to me. I stepped toward him to get him to back down but he kept coming. I kicked him back but he kept coming and tried to flog me 3 separate times. The last time he looked a bit dazed and finally walked away. That was the end of him. Hopefully yours will learn some manners because he did do damage to my legs and definitely could have hurt my so
Oh no! Good thing you caught him in time!! Scary! I definitely recognize mine as trying to breed now, he now goes after our big girls. I’ll definitely keep an eye on him for further naughty behaviour! I’m glad your little one was ok, and sorry you got hurt in the process!!

Oh no! Good thing you caught him in time!! Scary! I definitely recognize mine as trying to breed now, he now goes after our big girls. I’ll definitely keep an eye on him for further naughty behaviour! I’m glad your little one was ok, and sorry you got hurt in the process!!
I also have fairly little patience with cockerels anymore. We’ve had some disasters and it’s just not worth it to me to deal with turds!!

Back
Top Bottom